Jockey box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trfd13

Reaction score
I made a 50' stainless coil that I used for a jockey box. First time I used it it was perfect. The last 2 times used was foamy. I have plastic lines clamped on the coil and also to the shank. Would it be better to use hex nut, ferrile, and grommet instead

I think clamping to the tube would be best.

Foaming is usually an indication of temp and/or pressure imbalances. Serving a well carbonated beer at lower pressures can sometimes cause the beer to foam coming through the tubing. You need the resistance in the line to be in balance with the carbonation level pressure.

One problem with stainless tubing is that it's often a larger diameter than the serving lines. Once the beer hits that, the resistance goes way down and it causes the beer to foam. If you have enough tubing to produce the correct amount of resistance, it's no problem.

It may help to describe the sizes of the hoses and coil, lengths, and pressures (Both carbing and serving.)

The coil is 3/8od x 5/16id. Using 3/8id tubing about
3 1/2' - 4' clamped over the coil. 50' of coil with the same plastic tubing 2' long clamped to a barb on the shank. The pouring pressure I had set around 10psi

Latest posts

Back