JOAM evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattyboh

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find any information on this.
I made my first batch of JOAM (1 gallon) on 1/25/14, and topped off the water about a week later and it has been fermenting at room temperature (right around 70F). It cleared up in about three weeks and I hadn't really looked at it much in the last week or so. Two days ago I noticed one orange piece floating a bit lower, then the next day I woke up to find it had sunk to the bottom but I also realized the water level in the airlock had gotten low and the water level in the carboy had dropped by maybe half a cup to a cup. I refilled the airlock and then this morning I woke up and the rest of the orange pieces had also sunk to the bottom. I plan to let it sit at least another 2 months before bottling but does anyone know how much of a problem that evaporation is? I assume the low airlock level had let oxygen in and there is now an increased amount of headspace. Would you recommend topping it off again or just leaving it alone?
I also assumed it would take longer for the oranges to drop to the bottom, is it possible that's related to the evaporation? The heat in my apartment has been having issues for a few days and it may have dropped into the upper 50s so I was thinking that could have something to do with it as well.

Thanks

If i was to guess i would say it wasn't evaporation. The floating oranges are inflated with CO2 gas, which displaces the mead. When the oranges sink the gas leaves the oranges and rises above the mead. The gas is no longer displacing the mead and so the level within the carboy appears lower but the volume of actual mead has remained the same.

Back