JMs Ameican Peach Ginger Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister

Reaction score
I am looking for a fruity lager for SWMBO and spotted JMs American Peach Ginger Lager recipe in the BYO magazine a while back. Just wounding if anyone has tried it and if so do you recommend it or would you change something up. It looks something like this:

4 lbs. Muntons light dry malt extract
2 lbs. clover honey
1/3 lb. crystal malt
5 lbs. fresh or frozen peaches
2 oz. grated fresh ginger
1.75 oz. Cascade whole leaf hops (5.5% alpha acid), 1 oz. for 60 min., 0.5 oz. for 30 min., 0.25 oz. for 3 min.
1 tsp. gypsum (as needed)
1/2 tsp. Irish moss
Dry lager yeast

Thanks!!!

Bumpity Bump...

Any thoughts on this recipe? Also instructions say to put peaches in with grains and remove just before boil, squeezing as much juice as possible from them. The Ginger is to be added with the first hop addition and removed after boil.

Does this sound like a good method of fruit addition, I usually see adding at flameout or secondary. I am looking for a mild peach flavor and aroma.

Is 2 oz Ginger too much, I don't want it to hot but a slight Ginger flavor/aroma would be great.

Thanks!

Add the peaches after primary fermentation is done. Adding during the mash will boil off a lot of the nice peach aromatics and probably lead to a ton of haze.

Thanks rob,

That is what I was thinking with the peach. Any thoughts on the ginger? Should I include in the boil with first addition of hops like the recipe says or would that be better as a secondary addition with the peaches?

I've used Ginger as a late (5 minute) addition and it retained the Ginger flavor. People add it to the secondary with success, you're probably fine either way.

Back