Jim Beam being sold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw on nbcnews.com this morning that Jim Beam distillery is being sold to Suntory of Japan. They also produce Makers Mark burobon. Management will stay in place. Is nothing going to stay ours?

It's been a US company since colonial times. The used barrels were re-purposed to make whiskely out of porter or stout up to prohibition. It was nice,I thought,to have an American company around so long.

At very least the company was not sold to China. I guess that's something. There aren't many things that are 'American' anymore.

Treason I say...We must all keep this in mind, and if bourbon is your drink of choice, choose Wild Turkey or something from a local distillery. I for one will never spend a penny on their liquor again.

Four Roses is also owned by the Japanese company Kirin. Difference is nobody around here really cared about that acquisition since nobody in Kentucky ever drank their bourbon anyway because it sucked. Surprisingly though, the quality of their bourbon has improved greatly since, but many people attribute that to Jim Rutledge, not the Japanese. However, Kirin was responsible for promptly discontinuing all of the Four Roses blended whiskey nonsense, which more than likely really helped along their transition to decent bourbon instead of the rot-gut they were always known for in the past.

Makers was sold to Fortune Brands in 2005, who also owns Beam, the company then split and the beverage side became Beam Brands in 2011. Beam and Makers are not the same distillery, just to clarify, but it appears that Suntory will soon own both. Sad news indeed.

Treason I say...We must all keep this in mind, and if bourbon is your drink of choice, choose Wild Turkey or something from a local distillery. I for one will never spend a penny on their liquor again.

Buffalo Trace was recently voted the best distillery in the world, much to Ireland's dissatisfaction. :mug:

FYI, there's a new whiskey maker starting up in Chattanooga, TN. It will be called Chattanooga Whiskey. :) I have no idea if their whiskey is any good, but they have been brewing for awhile now in some rented space and are building a new distillery in Chattanooga.

In case anyone is interested, the URL for Chattanooga Whiskey is http://www.chattanoogawhiskey.com/

They said Beam's made Maker's Mark,so I took them at their word. I thought it was another brand,never looked at the label...

They said Beam's made Maker's Mark,so I took them at their word. I thought it was another brand,never looked at the label...

Yep, it gets pretty confusing when the big corps start buying everything up, which is the real root of the problem we are talking about now. If the Samuels family still owned the company I guarantee you this would never happen. The corps have no loyalty to America or historical American brands, it's only their profit margins and bottom lines that drive their decision making process.

Meh, never cared much for Jim Beam or Maker's anyway. I generally prefer Wild Turkey or Buffalo Trace myself if I'm drinking American whiskey. Let the Japanese have it. :drunk:

Knob Creek is also from the Beam distillery correct? When I first really started to explore Bourbons this was my go to glass. Buffalo Trace will be taking its place for sure with no ill feelings. Really disappointing for a business built on American tradition to go to the highest bidder who could give a rats ass about anything other than the bottom line.

Japan has a pretty good taste for bourbon, and Kirin has worked a little miracle with Four Roses. It'll still be made here, so I will hold judgement before declaring that it has gone to crap. Suntory whisky is darned good.

As long as they don't mess with the whiskey, I don't care who owns Jim Beam - any more than the average Japanese citizen probably cares that Nissan is partially owned by Renault, and makes its pickups in Smyrna, Tennessee.

There are more important things to get chauvinistic about.... especially since no matter where the average modern company is incorporated, the odds are good that it has a lot of American stockholders anyway.

And keep in mind that this sort of thing is an ongoing process. Maker's Mark was a small independent company, before being acquired by the group that owns Jim Beam. A lot of die-hard fans accused the founding family of 'selling out,' but the whiskey didn't change.

On the other hand, if the new owners of Jim Beam discontinue its 90 proof Devil's Cut bourbon, forget everything I just said. I'll be out for blood....

On the other hand, if the new owners of Jim Beam discontinue its 90 proof Devil's Cut bourbon, forget everything I just said. I'll be out for blood....

That was a fine addition at the price point, wasn't it? Someone bought a bottle for me, and I wasn't expecting much considering the silly marketing, but was pleasantly surprised.

As long as the whiskey is still good, still made in Kentucky by US guys and gals, I'm fine with this. No messin' with my KC or Booker's, though.

That was a fine addition at the price point, wasn't it? Someone bought a bottle for me, and I wasn't expecting much considering the silly marketing, but was pleasantly surprised.

As long as the whiskey is still good, still made in Kentucky by US guys and gals, I'm fine with this. No messin' with my KC or Booker's, though.

Yep. It isn't necessarily one of the premium whiskeys, but it's pretty darned good for an everyday drink.

Wild Turkey is Italian-owned (Campari), and before that French-owned (Pernod Ricard).

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Home Brew mobile app

At very least the company was not sold to China. I guess that's something. There aren't many things that are 'American' anymore.

I don't care about big companies. I'd rather have them be owned international, maybe people will buy small and local instead.

Back