Jesus turned water into wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering wine-appropriate fruit availability as opposed to grain in the area in which Jesus lived, it was most likely a form of beer and not wine. Chalk it up to bad translation... with grain, you CAN turn water into beer.

Jesus most likely had knowledge of brewing, and he tought others how to do it. Water was a health hazard, but boiled beer was pathogen free and a real life-saver.

Noah had knowledge of wine and fermentation. See Genesis 9:20

20 Now Noah started off as a farmer and proceeded to plant a vineyard. 21 And he began drinking of the wine and became intoxicated, and so he uncovered himself in the midst of his tent.

Jesus knew that fermenters needed pressure release valves :

The Greek word oi′nos (basically corresponding to the Hebrew term ya′yin) first occurs in Jesus’ comments on the inadvisability of using old wineskins for new, partially fermented wine, as the pressure developed through fermentation would burst the old wineskins.—Mt 9:17; Mr 2:22; Lu 5:37, 38.

Various strong alcoholic liquors, apparently derived from pomegranates, dates, figs, and the like, were usually designated by the Hebrew term she·khar′. (Nu 28:7; De 14:26; Ps 69:12) The Hebrew word ‛a·sis′, at The Song of Solomon 8:2, refers to “the fresh juice” of pomegranates, but in other passages the context points to wine. (Isa 49:26; Joe 1:5) Beer may have been designated by the Hebrew word so′ve’.—Isa 1:22; Na 1:10.

IIRC, the water into wine story also includes a bit where the host of the dinner at which Jeebus performed this particular miracle was chastised by another guest, because you are supposed to serve the good wine first (i.e. what Jeebus made), so that your guests are drunk and don't notice the bad wine (i.e. what the host originally served) later.

But I haven't read the bible in a loooong time, so take that with a grain of salt.

Back