Jesus i love martinis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vodka. Drier than dry. I want a martini dying of thirst. Mixed while looking at a picture of a bottle of vermouth. Shaken, not stirred.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Home Brew mobile app

I love how James Bond abused the heck out of the martini. The traditional martini was always stirred, never shaken, and I think was supposed to be Gin only not Vodka.

Vodka martinis are sacrilege. Martinis are supposed to have flavor, not taste like rubbing alcohol. Just enough vermouth to barely taste it. The Gin is the star of the show.

Put a little vermouth in a martini glass. Swirl it around to coat the glass, and dump out the excess. Add 2oz chilled (but not stupid cold) gin, and garnish with an olive and lemon peel.

I've also recently discovered a love for Hendricks gin, which is an unusually piney-tasting gin. I like it chilled, straight up with a few cucumber slices floating in it, no vermouth. Not really a martini anymore but damn tasty. Add tonic for a new-and-improved G&T.

I had the Bond martini last year. Didn't do it for me. Bitter, nasty stuff. I liked the Gin, but the guy put bitters in it and that didn't help.

When I was young,I liked extra dry gin martinis. Maybe a couple years after we were married. Had to be British gin & Martini & Rossi vermouth. Chill the glass,add the gin,then just a "spitch" of vermouth with a couple picked olives.
At one point,there was a brand that bottled mixed drinks,including martinis in a 1L bottle,something like that. I got some stories from those days...:drunk:

From my perspective, the PERFECT martini...

1. Fill a cocktail glass with clear, clean ice.
2. Pour BOMBAY SAPPHIRE GIN on ice until glass is almost full.
3. Pick up bottle of dry vermouth and wave it about 10 inches away from the gin-filled glass.
4. Put bottle of dry vermouth back where it came from.
5. Pick up filled glass, bring to lips and gently...GENTLY sip the deliciousness!
6. Olives? Why??? They take up room the gin can use!

Now, some would want to call this "Gin on the Rocks." That, to me, seems awfully crude.

glenn514:mug:

Not a fan of the martini but Gin and tonic is my go to mix drink. Real tonic and twist of lime is perfection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Back