Jester King Funk n' Sour Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how we can be talking about Jester King, then veer off and talk about Etre and Lobster rolls, and then bring it back to Jester King and these threads just keep going without fear of being closed.

I really enjoy the atmosphere and feel of this forum.

I love how we can be talking about Jester King, then veer off and talk about Etre and Lobster rolls, and then bring it back to Jester King and these threads just keep going without fear of being closed.

I really enjoy the atmosphere and feel of this forum.
And we can all be big boys and girls and handle it. Imagine that.

go back to lobster rolls!

Also I can't wait for today

Wow, that was pretty fun shitty day of drinking beer waiting in line.
Man, that really sucks it turned out that way. I saw some other complaints about how horrible the lines where.

Do you think they should have decreased the number of tickets to make the festival more enjoyable or was it understaffed?

Man, that really sucks it turned out that way. I saw some other complaints about how horrible the lines where.

Do you think they should have decreased the number of tickets to make the festival more enjoyable or was it understaffed?

Understaffed. The line to check in and the line for to go bottles took up more than 3 hours of my day. The lines for the stations weren't terrible and actually moved, but at times they were nearly zig zagging with others lines.

Understaffed. The line to check in and the line for to go bottles took up more than 3 hours of my day. The lines for the stations weren't terrible and actually moved, but at times they were nearly zig zagging with others lines.
Completely agree. My line to get in was over an hr (12-) and the bottle line was easily 3. That being said I was standing next to some fun strangers from Dallas and we were chatting beer and holding spots the whole time so we could get pours. Good time but some good waits.

Agreed. But there needed to be less people too. There does not need to be that many people there. Their property and staff simply cannot handle it.

My favorite part of the day was the car ride up and back with Rainer, Phil, Kevin, and Eric. Fun times. Nearly died a few times including almost hitting a deer on the way back. That and hanging out with everyone. I didn't enjoy the lines at all. Way too long. "Cut n' Sour Fest".

My ranking of the sours:

1. Aurelian Lure
2. Nocturn Chrysalis
3. Omniscience & Proselytism

Had a blast meeting you guys today. Sure some of the lines were long, but that is the price of success for Jester King. We've all wanted great brewery releases here in Texas, and now we have them. What's wrong with waiting a little longer in line for great beer with great people. Guess I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Regardless of the lines I had a good time sharing new beers with new friends.

I know the guys from JK haven't found their way over to this forum yet, so I will post this up for y'all.

I'll formulate a more thoughtful response tomorrow, but I apologize for the long lines at the fest. It's a shame because we wanted the focus to be on the three new beers we invested a ton of time making and are very proud of. Obviously that falls on us. To the extent we do any special events in the future, they'll be much smaller. I apologize to everyone who didn't enjoy their experience at our brewery today. While we remain very proud of the beer lineup we put on today, the logistics could have been much better and the event should have been much smaller.
- Jeff Stuffings

Had a blast meeting you guys today. Sure some of the lines were long, but that is the price of success for Jester King. We've all wanted great brewery releases here in Texas, and now we have them. What's wrong with waiting a little longer in line for great beer with great people. Guess I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Regardless of the lines I had a good time sharing new beers with new friends.

I did not attend, but assuming that long lines and poor planning has to go hand-in-hand with price of success is short-sighted.

A $32 beer festival is incredibly cheap when compared to most beer festivals in Texas, or even the US. Increase the cost of the festival, hire/pay additional staff, and double the amount of serving stations. That is one of the easiest things beer festivals can do that directly impacts every attendee. You're paying money for a beer festival, not to stand in line and wait to try a few beers.

Allowing people to attend the festival, that did not have a ticket, was a rather idiotic idea as well. I really do not know what they were expecting with that one.

The guys at JK are great, and only wish them the best of luck, but from what I've read about on BA/BT/etc, it was very poorly thought out and executed.

A $32 beer festival is incredibly cheap when compared to most beer festivals in Texas, or even the US. Increase the cost of the festival, hire/pay additional staff, and double the amount of serving stations. That is one of the easiest things beer festivals can do that directly impacts every attendee. You're paying money for a beer festival, not to stand in line and wait to try a few beers.

Allowing people to attend the festival, that did not have a ticket, was a rather idiotic idea as well. I really do not know what they were expecting with that one.
(I'm not talking about FnSF here)
I disagree with $32 being incredibly cheap, some nice fests in CA and MN are $35-40 and you get beer without the damn TX ticket system (or w/e system a TX festival uses). These fests are all the pleasure of e.g. TCBF w/out waiting in ticket lines, handling tickets, seeing beers 'priced' at different tickets, etc. At one fest the people pouring were being too generous and I got 6-8oz samples of the 20 beers I most wanted to try. Too much, but a very fun day/night.
If you're talking about something like Stone's Anni or w/e where it was $45 for 15 pours, yeah you have a point. For TCBF it would take $20+18 to get 18 tickets, IIRC, so take it for what you will.

As far as FnSF, I think everyone would've been happy to pay $3 more if that $3000 had been spent on cutting line lengths. I though it was nice of JK to let non-ticketed people attend (kids and DD friendly), but you have a point, though idiotic is pretty hyperbolic. There were not a bunch of non-ticketed people or unruly kids. It seemed like there were 1000 people there, not even all 1100 ticketed persons. If JK wants to do another event like this, and have it be a roped-off event with an increase in the number of DD tickets, I won't complain (I'm indifferent to kiddos). But it didn't seem like even a secondary problem.

Lastly, I gotta say I appreciate the staff and volunteers who were doing their best to make things move.

Alex Rumor is that the cherry's supposed to be secret...?
A bottling volunteer mentioned it and said it was secret for now. I'm only mentioning it because it was already mentioned. But he or she also said it was amazing.
If there's a rumor about it being secret, it's not quite a secret, is it?

It's still in the bright tanks, I'd imagine it'll be a while before we see it. From what I hear it's been changing even on a day to day basis according to some people. So who knows how it'll turn out but it was delicious when I had it. Much better than all their other fruited sours.

If there's a rumor about it being secret, it's not quite a secret, is it?

It's still in the bright tanks, I'd imagine it'll be a while before we see it. From what I hear it's been changing even on a day to day basis according to some people. So who knows how it'll turn out but it was delicious when I had it. Much better than all their other fruited sours.

All?

I had an awesome time! The lines were problematic at time, but if you weren't drinking with friends in line you were doing it wrong. Great handing with dicers HopAG BusinessSloth DanzBorin and others.

I have to call out BusinessSloth on his awesomeness. I brought him 4 Adams in a trade, and he promptly gave them away to people who hadn't tried it before, despite it being one of his favorite beers. He proceeded to give away at least 5 other bottles of amazing limited beer to people, including myself. I am grateful and impressed at the beer advocacy that was on display.

Oh yeah, and the new beers rock. Nocturn was my favorite.

I had an awesome time! The lines were problematic at time, but if you weren't drinking with friends in line you were doing it wrong. Great handing with dicers HopAG BusinessSloth DanzBorin and others.

I have to call out BusinessSloth on his awesomeness. I brought him 4 Adams in a trade, and he promptly gave them away to people who hadn't tried it before, despite it being one of his favorite beers. He proceeded to give away at least 5 other bottles of amazing limited beer to people, including myself. I am grateful and impressed at the beer advocacy that was on display.

Oh yeah, and the new beers rock. Nocturn was my favorite.

Heresy sir!

I loved the Omni so damn much! I just wish Jeff had provided the option of switching out one of the bottles for that.

But yeah man thanks for helping us in line! It is always great drinking beer with great people!

I mean this in all seriousness. Did I give someone a bottle of Crooked Stave Cherry Origins while I was there? If so, it was a complete accident. Compton25, I think I gave you an Origins and L Brett D'Or right?

tripping balls trying to find this cherry origins. Could have sworn it was in the box my trader sent me and now I can't find it to save my life. My tiny sloth heart can't take this.

And Omni was pretty meh HopAG. I expected that though. Strawberries are just incredibly difficult to integrate well into a beer. I made a strawberry blonde homebrew a while back and used 10lbs of frozen strawberries for 5 gallons. Had a great aroma and taste, but the color was just weird. Looked exactly like Omniscience. Probably could have used another 5 lbs of strawberries to get the taste I was looking for though.

Last edited:
I mean this in all seriousness. Did I give someone a bottle of Crooked Stave Cherry Origins while I was there? If so, it was a complete accident. Compton25, I think I gave you an Origins and L Brett D'Or right?

tripping balls trying to find this cherry origins. Could have sworn it was in the box my trader sent me and now I can't find it to save my life. My tiny sloth heart can't take this.

Saw you give a plum away but not a cherry

And Omni was pretty meh HopAG. I expected that though. Strawberries are just incredibly difficult to integrate well into a beer. I made a strawberry blonde homebrew a while back and used 10lbs of frozen strawberries. Had a great aroma and taste, but the color was just weird. Looked exactly like Omniscience.
I think you may have received the "wrong" Omni. You got it early enough that you may have gotten the mistake instead of the real deal.

Saw you give a plum away but not a cherry
Yeah I know I gave the plum away. I just could have sworn my trader sent me the cherry. It's possible I accidentally traded it. If that's the case, I did NOT mean to do that. That's the biggest one I was looking forward to. My trader graciously offered to send me another one though. <3

I wish you had accidentally given it to me. :( It would already be in my belly.

Hope you find it!

I think you may have received the "wrong" Omni. You got it early enough that you may have gotten the mistake instead of the real deal.

Can't tell if this is true or sarcasm. Lol

Omni was the first beer it tried early in the day. I thought it was terrible. Bland and watery. Wondered if I gota bad bottle. I don't think so though, because most people I talked to didn't like it

Omni was the first beer it tried early in the day. I thought it was terrible. Bland and watery. Wondered if I gota bad bottle. I don't think so though, because most people I talked to didn't like it
In the Texas thread Alex mentioned that the first part of the day was actually not omni, but accidentally another beer. Later in the day they corrected this issue.

I experienced both and the latter was MUCH better than the earlier.

Most people tried it once early on and never tried it again. I think these folks missed out on a tasty beer.

I don't think it was that late. You were still in line, right?
Yeah i remember asking you to get me a pour of strawberry beer, then rainer found me and I practically cried that I didn't get any atrial rubicite, so he grabbed my mini snifter and handed it off to you I think. Cuz I never got a full pour of Nocturn that day.

Yup yall got the wrong Omni!

The REAL Omni was so damn gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! I ended up getting 3 refills of it toward the end of the day! I remember thinking there was a sharp difference of what I had had earlier in the day.

It made me sad when I realized that I couldn't take it home with me :oops:

You definitely did. I tried it early and thought the same thing. I then tried it at the end of the day because I had heard rumors it was much better. After trying it again it was much, much better. Sour, big strawberry flavor and aroma. Not like a blond with strawberries like it was at the beginning.

Yeah I know I gave the plum away. I just could have sworn my trader sent me the cherry. It's possible I accidentally traded it. If that's the case, I did NOT mean to do that. That's the biggest one I was looking forward to. My trader graciously offered to send me another one though. <3

Awh little sloth, you know who your Sovereign CS Lord is.

Back