Jester King’s Noble King Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://jesterkingbrewery.com/current-blog/homebrew-recipes

Awhile back JK posted some Homebrew recipes of some of their beers. I’m not sure JK makes anything I don’t like but Noble King has always been one of my favorites.

I took bottle dregs from one bottle of Noble King and stepped it up. 250ml at 1.024 and then added another 250ml of 1.024 wort when I could not see any activity. When I did not have anymore activity I add 1000ml of 1.040 wort.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch based on the recipe referenced above. I split the batch after cooling and fermented half with the Jester King yeast culture and the other half with Wyeast 3724 DuPont strain.

I let the Noble King clone ferment for 6 weeks, dry hopped and then packaged. The Clean Saison half finished fermenting in 3 weeks and I dry hopped and packaged.

OG was 1.043

Jester King Clone finished at 1.00, 5.6% ABV
Saison finished at 1.005, 4.99% ABV

Both beers turned out great.

My clone is very similar to the original. To me the hop aroma is more intense with the original but flavor and tartness are very close.

The clean Saison half turned out very good also, nice table strength Saison.

From left to right, Jester King Noble King, My clone (middle beer), Saison Yeast beer

8509D6ED-861E-49CD-A789-C2FFB4B44FE0.jpeg

None of the recipes specify the yeast. Is the assumption that the yeast is taken from bottle dregs like you did?

Seems like the dregs did the fermentation as described above, though for some of their other recipes they recommend Wyeast 3711.

I am jealous - can't get these in my part of the world. I need to just brew one. I'd love to do Le Petite Prince, but can't work up the courage to make a wort that low gravity.

Yes. Scroll to the bottom of the recipe link and they give pretty good information about either culturing bottle dregs or using a clean saison yeast and then adding dregs.

I would think if you can’t get Jester King in your area using bottle dregs from other beers would produce good results.

Yes. Scroll to the bottom of the recipe link and they give pretty good information about either culturing bottle dregs or using a clean saison yeast and then adding dregs.

I would think if you can’t get Jester King in your area using bottle dregs from other beers would produce good results.

All of their non-spontaneous beers are fermented with a house culture. Once upon a time they used the BSI equivalent of 3711 fermented around 89F which produces a really nice lemon/pepper flavor. I liked their beers a lot more when they used the clean saison strain.

That link is sadly no longer working! I'm itching to brew soon and can easily go pick up a bottle of Jester King. Do you by any chance still have the recipe handy? Thanks!

Great post! I’m planning to do something just like this.

Both those links are now down and I can’t find any of their recipes (besides petit prince) anymore… I used to have them all saved. Could you post the recipe of Noble King?

Back