Jelly/Gelatin-like substance in bottom of wort (picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaPoodles

Reaction score
Long story short : There's this weird gelatin/jelly-like substance in the bottom of my wort (after boil) when transferring to secondary (to remove the bottom junk and to pitch yeast with fresh water) before putting in primary and yeah I found all these long rope-like strains of jelly

Was making a Clone Corona Ale and these were my steps (note : everything was sterilized) :

1) Mashed Caramel 20L Cargill (227g) and Rice Flakes (1kg) for 30mins at 155 deg

2) removed those and got to a boil

3) removed from stove to put in Powder Cbw Golden Light Malt (1kg)

4) put back on stove to a boil and started timer

5) added Cz Saaz (2oz) at 60mins

6) added rest of Powder Cbw Golden Light Malt (.5kg) at 30mins

7) added rest of Cz Saaz (1oz) at 15mins and Lemon Zest (.5oz)

8) added Carraghenine/Irish moss (20g) at 10mins

9) added Dextrose (500g) at 5mins

10) removed from boil when countdown was done and cooled down to 80 deg in a cold bath with ice

11) next thing I know there's this weird gelatin/jelly-like substance in the bottom of my wort (after boil) when transferring to secondary (to remove the bottom junk and to pitch yeast with fresh water) before putting in primary

12) No idea what to do, so I didn't throw the (precious?) jelly away in case it has sugar in it and flavours... I don't know what to do!

Jelly itself seems to contain sugar and aromas without the junk that you find at the bottom of your wort meaning it's dissociated from that stuff;

hence I still have no idea what to do??
Hoping someone can help and know what happened D:

12899556_10153496761218663_1237842908_o.jpg

It's probably not related to the jelly stuff, but you can't mash crystal and rice flakes without a source of enzymes (all that you actually did was steep them). Neither of these have any diastatic power, so they can't convert starches to sugar. The crystal only needs to be steeped but the rice needs to be mashed to get any sugar out of it.

It's probably not related to the jelly stuff, but you can't mash crystal and rice flakes without a source of enzymes (all that you actually did was steep them). Neither of these have any diastatic power, so they can't convert starches to sugar. The crystal only needs to be steeped but the rice needs to be mashed to get any sugar out of it.

I guess I though steeping and mashing were synonyms then :eek:o!! I did read that rice had to stay a bit longer at a higher temperature, so I let it in while getting my wort to a boil (added already boiling water to speed up the temperature rise), but my question here is : is my batch ruined by the gelatinous thing!? Can I still use this beer? Should I proceed as normal and throw yeast and in primary? Will the yeast work trough the jelly? Will having a small amount of wort bottom junk mess up the beer during fermentation if any get mixed with the jelly?:confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like your Irish Moss did the trick there...

But is the batch ruined by this reaction!? Why did it do that?

Can I still use this beer? Should I proceed as normal and throw yeast and in primary? Will the yeast work trough the jelly? Will having a small amount of wort bottom junk mess up the beer during fermentation if any get mixed with the jelly?
:confused:

yes, it's hot & cold break - explained before as coagulated protein created during the boil and during chilling - and it's perfectly normal. some people leave it behind when transferring to fermenter, some dump it in, it's a personal preference. I personally don't worry about it and transfer it to my fermenter along with the wort. try it both ways, see if you can taste a difference & if it tastes better doing it one way, do it that way from then on.

& mashing and steeping are mostly synonymous, but there is a slight difference. it's what's going on with the grains that separates the two. mashing involves the conversion of starch to sugar, while steeping does not.

& flaked rice needs to be mashed, it doesn't have the diastatic power by itself to convert. add a bit of 2- or 6-row to help convert. but, again, don't worry that you didn't, you still got flavor and color out of the rice, if not fermentables

tl;dr - don't worry, you're OK. good luck with this and all future brews!

DWruVly.jpg

It is a combination of hot and cold break which settled to the bottom of your kettle. As the others have mentioned, your irish moss did its job.

Hot Break as per http://www.howtobrew.com : The foam caused by proteins in the wort that coagulate due to the rolling action of the boil. The wort will continue to foam until the protein clumps get heavy enough to sink back into the pot.

Cold Break: This is composed of another group of proteins that need to be thermally shocked into precipitating out of the wort. Slow cooling will not affect them. Cold break, or rather the lack of it, is the cause of Chill Haze. When a beer is chilled for drinking, these proteins partially precipitate forming a haze. As the beer warms up, the proteins re-dissolve. Only by rapid chilling from near-boiling to room temperature will the Cold Break proteins permanently precipitate and not cause Chill Haze. Chill haze is usually regarded as a cosmetic problem. You cannot taste it. However, chill haze indicates that there is an appreciable level of cold-break-type protein in the beer, which has been linked to long-term stability problems. Hazy beer tends to become stale sooner than non-hazy beer.

You'll get hot break when you boil any cereal grains. Rice, pasta or oatmeal will all foam over after you reach boiling

Thanks for everyone's response, I greatly appreciate the constructive responses! Always learning more and more :)!!

I finally just poured the whole thing in my fermenter with the gelatin (which seemed a bit less condensed the next day)
Hopefuly turns out well and not lumpy :D

Latest posts

Back