jb weld fell in my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhunter

Reaction score
I made a heatstick complete with gfi protection, and it worked great, except that the jb weld I used melted and before I noticed it leaked into my brew. I cured it for at least a month before I used it, and it is supposed to be heat resistant to 500 degrees or something like that, so I don't know why. Anyways, I fished it out of the wort and got it all out, and my question is, can I still drink the stuff or should I just dump it?

Sounds like you did not mix it in the correct proportions so it never fully cured.

Would I dump my batch, yes. Would I ever use JB Weld internally in my brewing process, no.

From JB Weld Site:

Q: Is J-B Weld toxic?

A: No. J-B Weld is non-toxic. However, we do not recommend consuming the product.

I wouldn't dump it... what's the worst that could happen... glue our innards together? LOL

Yeah, I've used lots of JB weld in my build....I'm screwed if it melts!

I've used my heat stick with JB Weld a dozen times. It changed colors a bit, and small pieces (hard pieces) chipped off, but it's never melted. If you mix it right, it won't melt even with a propane torch. Of course a propane torch will cause it to unweld, but it won't melt it.

Usually glues and epoxies are non-toxic when cured. If it wasn't mixed right I wouldn't drink it.

Thanks all for the input. It's really good beer and I'll be none too happy as I watch it going down the drain, but I'll not risk ingesting chemicals, I can always make another batch.

Back