Jaybird BK false bottom in an E-keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybone454

Reaction score
Hello all. Long time observer and 1st time poster. Any way, as the title says, I'm trying to get some feedback on anyone who might be using the norcal brewing level 3 false bottom combo with an electric element. I purchased an ultimate keggle kit from Jay a few months back who by the way is excellent to work with and sells a great product as many of you may already know. I will be using a 5500w ulwd heating element(2in tri clamp connection)and would like to discuss optimal vertical placement while using this false bottom.

From searching, it seems like batches which require a significant amount of pellet hops (10oz or greater) will have a sedement layer built up on the fb. My concern is if this layer were to build up enough to touch the element.

Are there any concerns with this setup and whole leaf hops?

Just like to open a discuss for my benefit and that of future readers.

Thanks

Jim

Ive made many an IPA with electric pots and never had any issues with hop trub on an element. No comment on the false bottom though, no experience.

Element contact with the FB and hop gunk is the least of my worries. I am going bottom drain with Jay's FB with a level 1 stand and am worried how well it will drain or if I should still use hop bags. Wanting to avoid bags if I can. Time will tell once the setup has brewed a batch or three.

I agree. But from the search i have done it seems like many have had sucess. The one post which kinda stands out is post 6 in the link below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=509092

Anyway all of the info i have found seems like it was used with propane or direct fire. I guess ill be the electric test when i finally get my rig up and running.

Just curious. Why would you want the level 1 for a bk when the level 3 was specifically designed for the bk application?

Just curious. Why would you want the level 1 for a bk when the level 3 was specifically designed for the bk application?
I was going to build an electric 3 vessel HERMs system and already had that for the MT. Now I'm using the keggle as my HLT/BK combo and continue to use my cooler as a MT. If I feel level 3 is needed they sell that separately. Not investing much in this as I hate keggles. Future plans are 20 gallon pot and go eBIAB unless I find a deal on a turn key 3 vessel electric setup.

Back