Jargon I've never heard: "Flavor Strike"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeintoledo

Reaction score
I was reading a thread about Centennial IPA on here, and there was a term I heard mentioined, that I've never heard before, in reference to hop additions in the boil.

"Flavor Strike"

What is this?

I spend more hours on this forum that I care to admit, and I have never heard that term. A quick google search didnt turn up anything either. Must be a type-o or brain fart or something.

it came from a professional brewer. so it's both mysterious and fascinating, and I must know this piece of jargon.

Flavor Strike = adding hops

That's what my take on "Flavor Strike" is, I may be wrong but Hops are what I like.

The flavoring hops addition i'de imagine... but i hope it ends up being something much more mysterious.

First Wort Hopping? Hops in strike water? I've heard the latter are useless, but the former is worth it.

It sounds to me like a flavor/aroma addition. Personally, for me this is anywhere from 15 minutes to 0 minutes (or whirlpool).

I have brewed this Centennial IPA recipe, and I did bittering, whirlpool and dry hop. Whirlpooled for 15 minutes and rested for 15. It turned out amazing and almost identical to the real thing.

I yell BAM!!! Then talk to my TV audience. I miss Emeril. I could yell FLAVOR STRIKE!!! Then do like a jump kick. JK :smack:

Used in a sentence:

"My tongue is on a flavor strike!"

I'm glad to know that I'm at least as informed as everyone else.

I think of it as a the Hop Air Force, sending bombers to do a flavor strike on a primary target, namely, my DIPA I'm brewing this weekend.

lol

Back