Japanese Summer Ale Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_shoes_

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was thinking about doing a Japanese-style lager for the summer, sort of in the style of Asahi Super Dry, but I realized I really don't have the proper temperature control equipment for that sort of thing. So Instead, I was going to make a Japanese-style ale.
Now, I'm aware that there aren't really any traditionally Japanese ales, and the ones I've had have been from pretty modern breweries (e.g. Hitachino Nest Anbai Ale), but I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on the subject. All I really know is that flaked rice is essential for the texture of these sorts of things.
As an aside, if anyone here has any ideas on what makes an ale appropriate for the summer season, I'd be more than happy to hear those as well. How does one make an ale crisp and refreshing? Most of my expertise has been in extremely heavy and bready English-style ales (e.g. brown, bitter, mild), and I have never even attempted something for warm weather.

Thanks in advance,
Peter Shoes

Grist can help with lightness. Do the rice/corn thing, meaning, use these cereals instead of barley to give lighter flavor to the end result.
Yeast is important with light and crisp -- avoid English style, ester-forward.

Lightest I ever did was wheat based grist and WY1007 yeast fermented at 60F.

I'd try googling around about what's happening in the Netherlands.
In the land of Heineken...it's not commonly known that ales were very traditional a long time ago.
Look up Michael Jackson Beer Hunter on YouTube. A series from the 80s...one of the episodes is on Dutch ales...
very cool food for thought and may give you some ideas on fermentation techniques (other than just trying to be lager-esque).

Hi all,

I was thinking about doing a Japanese-style lager for the summer, sort of in the style of Asahi Super Dry, but I realized I really don't have the proper temperature control equipment for that sort of thing. So Instead, I was going to make a Japanese-style ale.
Now, I'm aware that there aren't really any traditionally Japanese ales, and the ones I've had have been from pretty modern breweries (e.g. Hitachino Nest Anbai Ale), but I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on the subject. All I really know is that flaked rice is essential for the texture of these sorts of things.
As an aside, if anyone here has any ideas on what makes an ale appropriate for the summer season, I'd be more than happy to hear those as well. How does one make an ale crisp and refreshing? Most of my expertise has been in extremely heavy and bready English-style ales (e.g. brown, bitter, mild), and I have never even attempted something for warm weather.

Thanks in advance,
Peter Shoes
Omega Lutra yeast makes for a pretty good pseudo-lager

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/norwegian-kveik/lutra-kveik

Latest posts

Back