Japanese beer clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdiaz

Reaction score
I am prep-ing for a mini-mash Kirin clone, but I was interested in using rice as opposed to rice syrup solids. I have seen you need rice hulls if you do that, but would you still need hulls if you get flaked rice?

Thanks ya'll!!!
MD

Don't think so. Make sure you use Japanese rice! (cal rose). super dry? ichiban shibori? lager? good luck.

yeah, I am planning out a mini-mash using a Asahi clone recipe. so we are going dry lager, and looking up ichiban shibori, I guess that is the type of beer that Kirin makes?? Forgive me, but I am not well versed in the Japanese language even though I married a 100% Japanese American lady. thanks for the reply tektonjp!!!

Super dry used to be my go to J beer but since I started brewing, I dont enjoy it as much. The best J commercial beer, hands down, is Heartland. I don't think its available outside of Japan. I've also come to really like Premium Malt's.
Good luck on your brew.

If you want to use regular rice I have heard of people using minute rice. Then you wouldn't have to do a cereal mash. Not familiar with flaked rice but it might get gummy too and need rice hulls.

Back