Jamil's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
OK, so I want to brew the "hoppiness is an IPA" from the brewing classic styles book. I ran it through beersmith and I have a couple questions.
first off here's the original recipe(in beer smith):

American IPA
Type: Extract

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.25 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 89.13 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
1.00 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast
Est Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.56 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 44.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 10.4 SRM Color: Color

my questions:
1. even before I scale it down to a 5 gal batch, the SG's are different. in his book, jamil says OG 1.065 FG 1.012, but in beersmith OG 1.076 FG 1.018. why is that?

2. also, he lists IBUs at 64 and beersmith only gives it 44.6. Is this thing going to be hoppy enough? when I scale it to 5 gal, it's .8oz(23g) each of hops, could I just put the whole oz in? if I do that in beersmith, it gives me
54 IBUs
3. I searched a little bit, but I still can't find out the info for US-05, in order to put it into beersmith. I used the wy1056 just to finish the recipe.

thanks all for your help,

c

I just think you're getting conflicting numbers because you're looking at two different sources. It also might be different from when the first and the second source was written because of malting processes (complete guess). You also might get different numbers because of the different malt companies you may be using (another guess). I think there are a lot of possibilities from simple mistakes to unknown variables that give you the different numbers. The hops may be the same issues but I don't know. They're usually the same.

Go back to the beginning of the book and make sure all of your paramaters are the same.

Jamil uses the Rager formula to calculate all IBUs. Beersmith defaults to Tinseth. You will need to change that for your IBU's to match.

Make sure your efficiency is set correctly too. I don't remember what Beersmith defualts to since I've changed it to reflect my efficiency. If you want your OG to match though, you have to use the same thing he uses in the book. Don't quote me, but I think its 65%.

There are a few other parameters. Make sure everything is the same.

thanks for all the quick responses!
I went back and changed the parameters, it got me closer on the IBUs(55), but still OG 1.076 FG 1.018. it says 1.15oz each of hops will give me the 64. is that going to make a big difference? also, could I back down a little on the DME to get the abv closer to 7%, rather than 8%? or will that change it too much-mouthfeel, etc?

This is hard because I don't have BCS in front of me. Do your hop AA% match what is in the book? Really what you should do is find out the AA% of the hops you are going to buy, then adjust the amount to get you close to what is specified in the recipe.

thanks again! I'll fool around with beersmith again later. one last question:
shouldi consider dry-hopping 1oz of centennial later on, or should i leave it alone?
it's my first real american IPA, so I'm wondering if i should just do it striaght up this time, and experiment later on with a future batch

Back