Jalepeno Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrezDickie

Reaction score
I went to a BrewGrass this past weekend in Vermont. While there I tried a Hefeweizen brewed with Jalepeno. Normally I'm not the biggest fan of hefeweizens, but this particular one was fantastic. I love spicy but this beer had little spice, lots of jalepeno flavor though. I could not get a lot of info on the beer, but what I do have is this

Hefeweizen
Brewed with Jalepenos, orange peel, coriander.

now I'm pretty new to homebrewing, so starting a build on a recipe like this Im a litte lost I brew extract any tips on when I should add the jalepeno? I figure the orange peel and coriander would be steeped at flameout.

I'm not opposed to having spice, maybe not a whole lot as I do want other to enjoy one or two without hating me

any advice would be greatly appreciated

I love a pepper beer! Hefe is a style I have yet to brew but I did a pepper cream ale that was too light on the heat for me. I think leaving some seeds in (25-50%) would help with heat. Roasting for 30 min at ~300 degrees should work for flavor. I put them in after primary is nearly done. Let them stay 7-10 days.

You could also make a vodka tincture. If you pull the seeds and veins out of the peppers you'll get more jalapeno flavor than heat. I would suggest 2 good sized jalapenos quartered and deveined. Let them sit in some vodka for 2 or more weeks and add them at bottling/kegging time. The longer the peppers sit in the vodka the more flavor you are going to get. If they get completely white you know you are going to have some serious flavor. My experience with hot peppers done in this fashion, even with the seeds is that the heat is fairly tame. The heat also tends to disappear with time once added to the beer.

I love a pepper beer! Hefe is a style I have yet to brew but I did a pepper cream ale that was too light on the heat for me. I think leaving some seeds in (25-50%) would help with heat. Roasting for 30 min at ~300 degrees should work for flavor. I put them in after primary is nearly done. Let them stay 7-10 days.

Haven't brewed a hefe yet either as I'm not the biggest fan but the way the pepper and the yeast compliment each other was right up my alley.

Latest posts

Back