Jacketed Conical with glycol chiller or Conical and fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3e871

Reaction score
I currently (and have always) ferment in buckets and carboys in a temp controlled deep freeze. I'm ready to buy my first conical but want to be able to lager and control the temp with ease.

I'd rather buy a turn key solution as I have no time to tinker. I've looked at the glycol line chillers and brewers hardware jacketed conical, but I'm not sure, in my head, what parts I would need to make these two items work together. Are the line chillers like this one: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/glycol-chiller/kg-1_6t.shtml made to regulate temps...i.e does it come with a built in temp controller (or does it just pump the same cold glycol in a closed loop) and more importantly is it designed to cut on and off all the time to keep the proper temps? If not I'd rather spend less and buy a used merchandise fridge to house a non jacketed conical and save some money.

I'm surprised that I cant find any answers on other media (youtube, forums, etc) Any feedback appreciated!

I got a conical a while back and will be using it for the first time this week. I t fit perfectly into the stand up freezer I already had. I picked it up for $40 on craigslist. Even if you have to spend $100 for a used but newer freezer, I would imagine it would be a significant savings over a jacketed system.

Latest posts

Back