It's Time for my bar build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First shot is my faithful shop helper! He's great help!
So I made a trip to my suppliers and got a load of hard rock maple(150bf) and a pallet of 3/4 maple cabinet ply. Made up some face frames and then testing those frames in the bar on the cabs. Got the wine cab together too. Damn thing is a BEAST weighs 103# without face frame or finish! it's pretty dang big, it will hold 106 bottles.

I have three face frames yet to make and should be ready for a day of sanding and the spray staining and finish.

20151024_121134.jpg

20151025_144215.jpg

20151026_223920.jpg

20151105_194219.jpg

20151021_162147.jpg

20151027_165825.jpg

Didn't get near what I wanted to done today, but so is life. I did get the face frame and edgebanding done on the wine cab, so other than stain and finish it's done.

Looks really nice

Thank ya sir! Lot left to do. I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked, but so is life. It's all slow going right now. Lots of odd pieces to fit. I got all the dados cut for the polycarb shelves in both the "beer" and "open" cabs. Faceframe is cut for the "beer" cab. I need to cut the face frame for the "open" cab and then the skin for the bar and the piece between the upper cabinets, then I can sand for days! :ban:

bar.png

Will there be a ring build thread? Were you able to sneak a tiny Cy on it somewhere?

Will there be a ring build thread? Were you able to sneak a tiny Cy on it somewhere?

Ha ha, not exactly home brew is it? There is a video on YouTube.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfITKYyGZ2Q[/ame]

Not exactly a step by step. This is the video we played at the reception to surprise her. She had no idea I had done any of this, lol.

Not a ton of update pics but got every piece sanded and wetted to preraise the grain. tomorrow I will hit it all with 400g and get to staining. Pics tomorrow night should be far more brown! This pic is the "beer" cabinet. Got the faceframe all finished.

20151109_151527.jpg

Well I spent the whole day knocking down raised grain with 400g and then staining. Ran out of stain with about 4 sq feet left to go so have to run to Des Moines to pic up some more stain after class in the morning. I'll be finishing them tomorrow with General EnduroVar satin. Took up a hell of a lot of space, and used 3 pints of General Medium brown dye stain.

20151110_180222[1].jpg

20151110_180324[1].jpg

20151110_184109[1].jpg

20151110_184126[1].jpg

20151110_202718[1].jpg

Wow what an update! And congrats on the upcoming "assistant."

Trust me, brew now, while you have the chance. You won't have time, at least in the first 6 months! ;) :D

Trust me, brew now, while you have the chance. You won't have time, at least in the first 6 months! ;) :D

Ha ha, thanks man! Just getting started on the clear now!

Just found out Friday morning IT'S A LITTLE GIRL!!! HOLY CRAP!!! lol Wow, life is about to get interesting!

As far as brew, I have about 60 gal ready for keg and bottle. So I should be ok for a while as far as drink is concerned! lol, now I just have to get that bar done to drink it in!

Time for an update, I've been busy as hell with it all and finally making some progress. I still have the valance to build which I had to wait till everything was installed to measure for. The bar skin which is going to be classic style and rail sets. The bar top and the doors and drawers. So all together I feel like we might be a bit over the hill here!

After spraying finish on everything I ran out to the shop and cut the polycarb shelves then jointed and flame polished the edges. Got everything together and fitted the poly gluing them in with a Clear RTV silicone. After that I spent several hours fitting the LED strips into the cases. This should have gone way faster but no such luck. In the end there are 9 strips of RGB LED's in those things.

That wine bottle cab was a monster to put up! Took the better part of a day just to solder in the LED's and install the cabs. Of course the valance is not installed here which looks a bit sketchy with the wires, but hey, I wanted to see the pretty lights! lol

20151113_134018.jpg

20151113_163325.jpg

20151113_172256.jpg

20151114_133409.jpg

20151114_221951.jpg

20151114_222011.jpg

Here's a quick video I took of the lights doing their thing.

The valance will have warm with LED's in it facing down but will not be connected to the RGB's. I will have them on a dimmer but by their own. The liquor bottle rack will have RGB LED's in it as well, also connected to the controller for the top lights.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_1ecK6CKI&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Maybe it is just me, but it says the video is private.

Anyway. Awesome build from the pics!

Thanks! Been piles of work!
Hmm, I think I had something screwy. Try this one.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_1ecK6CKI[/ame]

Looking good my friend. Better access to see this now I am home from China. Internet unrestricted :)

Yep, many sites are blocked. No google, facebook, Hotmail, and most of the forums you try to get to. I have a VPN that I can use to access the restricted sites while in China but although it works it is not overly fast and you get kicked out a lot when using it. Makes for multiple frustrating sign in's again and again.
Looking forward to seeing things progress with your project. Going to look great !!!

Amazing work/skills. looks more like a Nightclub than a bar.

Thank you sir! Definitely not going for a night club theme. Maybe more like high end dinner club? Thank you none the less. I've got a lot left to do, will get some stuff cut tomorrow, if all goes right maybe the drawer fronts and door parts. Not sure how much I will actually do tomorrow it's 8 deg here and I have yet to fire up the heater out there. Might be to damn cold. We will see!

Well even though it's cold as hell out there I got all the styles and rails cut for the doors. I still need to run them over the router to get the profiles done, but after an hour more they will be ready for sanding and finish. I still have to cut the ply for the door fillers, but hey some progress is better than none!

Looking great, man! I hate making doors, myself, but in the end they are worth the effort.

Totally agree, this is a brand new stile and rail bit set. As such I forgot to do test boards and ended up cutting all my rails short! DAMN!:eek: It's not a huge deal as I can reuse the longer doors parts to remake the shorter ones. I just have to cut six more pieces for the largest 3 doors. Oh well.

The bit set is the Freud 99-764 Bevel Rail. Just was in a hurry and didn't pay attention. Total rookie mistake.

Hi, my name is Evan, and I have a problem... I'm addicted to table saws. Lol. It's so funny, I now own six, no check that, number seven is in the back of the truck right now. Lol, I think I need counseling... My wife thinks I've lost it!

Hi, my name is Evan, and I have a problem... I'm addicted to table saws. Lol. It's so funny, I now own six, no check that, number seven is in the back of the truck right now. Lol, I think I need counseling... My wife thinks I've lost it!

LOL. ! That's a little excessive!
I have a couple myself, though. I keep the old delta contractor setup with the dado blade and the unisaw as the main. Woodworking is as rewarding as brewing, but way more frikkin expensive a hobby if you want full capability.

My wife gave up on me a long time ago when it comes to my toys!

I barely have room for one table saw! And it's certainly not because I have too much other crap! :D

Please send all excess table saws I my direction. I will take extremely good care of them for you :);)
Looking Great my friend :mug:

Please send all excess table saws I my direction. I will take extremely good care of them for you :);)

Lol Paul, I actually love restoring these old 113 and 315 Craftsman saws. People like to make fun because they see my shop full of "Junk" tools because they are not Unisaws or Powermatic, but the joke is on them. I have every one of my saws tuned to less then 0.002" runout. I can take a Craigslist $50 113 and make it run like a $1,000.00 cabinet saw. I have developed many parts and gizmos over the years, hell even the paint codes, for these saws. New bearings, balanced arbors, turned balanced pulleys, PALS set ups (build myself) better fences etc.

Regaurdless, if you have 1 $3,500 saw or not, it still becomes a multi purpose tool. You make rip cuts, and cross cuts and angle cuts and 45deg cuts and each time you move the blade, you take the accuacy out of the tool. Yes yes one high end cabinet saw will be better then one old contractor saw, but it pales in comparison to many dedicated setup saws.

For instance my main saw at the house is a 1985 113 with a 60" digital fence on it. I do most of my work on it. But I have a saw that is set at a perfect 45deg and it took maybe 3 hours to get it that way. But it NEVER is adjusted, so it will always be that way. It doesn't even have a handle on the trunion side. So if the wife wants a quick picture frame, I literally can turn one out including finish and the glass in a half hour.

I have one set to a perfect undersized 3/4 cab ply dado with a 24" sled on it, I don't use it for anything but that. But this new one will be the new dedicated crosscut saw running a Freud 1080X. It will have both a 50" sled and a 25" sled. This will replace my sliding miter and I am guaranteed perfect 90-90 cuts every time.

All in all I have 7 saws (Two just went to My brothers for use) and have less than $1,000 in them. Hell I have way more than that in good Freud Blades.

I got so into that last post I forgot to say what I wanted too. If you need a good saw Paul, snag one on CL around here and I will go over it and send her up to ya.

Well I spent 4 hours fiddling with the door bit sets today. I set up a second router table to make things go smoother and it did, but I'm still not happy. I got the joints sorta but not really kinda better. I think. Every damn cut is different. I've never, ever is all my work had so much trouble with any door set like this. Let alone a Freud. Fiddly fiddly damn thing. I have the center joints better, I'm definitely happier with them, you can see that in the pic of the test pieces below. But the joints just have something missing. I wonder if it's not this drastic change in the shop temp. Went from 75 out there to freezing in 3 days.

Anyway, I'm likely to totally rebuild all the doors. I'm just to picky to let those go up.

20151203_175353.jpg

Lol Paul, I actually love restoring these old 113 and 315 Craftsman saws. People like to make fun because they see my shop full of "Junk" tools because they are not Unisaws or Powermatic, but the joke is on them. I have every one of my saws tuned to less then 0.002" runout. I can take a Craigslist $50 113 and make it run like a $1,000.00 cabinet saw. I have developed many parts and gizmos over the years, hell even the paint codes, for these saws. New bearings, balanced arbors, turned balanced pulleys, PALS set ups (build myself) better fences etc.

Regaurdless, if you have 1 $3,500 saw or not, it still becomes a multi purpose tool. You make rip cuts, and cross cuts and angle cuts and 45deg cuts and each time you move the blade, you take the accuacy out of the tool. Yes yes one high end cabinet saw will be better then one old contractor saw, but it pales in comparison to many dedicated setup saws.

For instance my main saw at the house is a 1985 113 with a 60" digital fence on it. I do most of my work on it. But I have a saw that is set at a perfect 45deg and it took maybe 3 hours to get it that way. But it NEVER is adjusted, so it will always be that way. It doesn't even have a handle on the trunion side. So if the wife wants a quick picture frame, I literally can turn one out including finish and the glass in a half hour.

I have one set to a perfect undersized 3/4 cab ply dado with a 24" sled on it, I don't use it for anything but that. But this new one will be the new dedicated crosscut saw running a Freud 1080X. It will have both a 50" sled and a 25" sled. This will replace my sliding miter and I am guaranteed perfect 90-90 cuts every time.

All in all I have 7 saws (Two just went to My brothers for use) and have less than $1,000 in them. Hell I have way more than that in good Freud Blades.

Just loved reading this post :) Read it slowly about 4 times. Great stuff !!!! Just got back from vacation (cruise) and back to internet access again.

Back