It's official starting my own brewing business!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. I wish you the best of luck, and since you are not that far away( I am in Houlton), I will have to stop by and check you out, once your up and running.
Drink one for me....

LiBrewshed said:
I made a cranberry belgian for thanksgiving and it turned out great, I called it cranberry sauce. Blueberrys sound like a great substitute. When I get back home to n.y. I'd be happy to upload the recipe if anyones interested

That sounds really good I'd love a recipe

So today my 3rd Keggle arrived from retrvino here on the vendor list and stuffed inside it was my 50' SS 1/2" HERMS coil that HBT'er Texan coiled for me.

I had heard about how hard it was to coil 1/2" SS tubing and when I read on a thread about a guy (Texan) who spent quite a bit of his own $ on tooling to coil his own the suggestion was made he should charge a fee and coil for others to make back some of his cash. I quickly volunteered to be 1st. Bought a 50' section of 1/2" SS and had it shipped direct to Texan.

Here's the lucky/weird part, see rtrivino was selling keggles at a pretty reasonable price and I needed a 3rd one, but being so big and heavy shipping was steep. Then as it turned out Texan and rtrevino were both in San Antonio. If I could have my coil shipped back inside the keggle well then shipping was a lot more resonable. Kill two birds with one stone kinda thing. I got their contact info to each other they hooked up and my keggle with the coil inside of it arrived today.

I hope to find the time to get this keg polished up this weekend and get the bulkheads and other goodies installed and the HERMS and then my HLT will be complete and I just gotta finish the PBR and then I can work on the mash tun.

Depends on how the painting goes this weekend. I hope to finish up the trim and touch up the walls and finish painting the bathroom. Then paint the kitchen cabinets so by the end of the weekend the apartment is ready for me to start hauling the smaller stuff down in preparation for the big move on the 31st.

So the brew rig may end up waiting but we will see.

2012-03-13 14.02.37.jpg

Not much new to update, did another round of painting, was only able to make it down one day over the weekend. Pretty much just have the kitchen cabinets left to paint next weekend then we can start hauling stuff down.

Was hoping the get my HLT polished and the HERMS installed and the other bits but painting had given me a wicked case of tennis elbow so I didn't get to it.

Should have some good pictures of the Apt. cleaned and painted and ready for the move next week.

back home and i found my recipe for my cranberry "belgian". This was a beer I made in the fall for thanksgiving. In actuallity it did'nt taste right until christmas, it was so good all 10 gallons were gone before new years eve. A true holiday ale. cheers!!

Cranberry Sauce

yeast: Wlp 550 belgain ale
o.g. 10.70
22# pale ale malt
1# aromatic malt
1# cara-pils malt
1# honey malt
1# 40l crystal
1# 10l crystal
1# red wheat
2# unrefined brown sugar (in boil)

mash 150 for 60 min.

hops:
1 oz. chinook
1 oz. williamette

other ingredients:
2 cinnamon sticks
10 whole allspice
5# cranberries

boil: 60 min.

1 oz. chinook 60 min
1 oz. williamette 30 min
2 cinnamon sticks 15 min
10 whole allspice 15 min
5# previously frozen crushed cranberries 15 min
2# unrefined brown sugar 10 min
2 tbsp. irish moss 10 min

primary 7-10 days @ 70

add to secondary ((the sauce))

8 oz water
5# previously frozen crushed cranberrys
2# unrefined brown sugar
8 oz vol. honey
1/2 orange zest and juice
1-1/2 cinnamon sticks
10 whole allspice

combine water and cranberrys, once its hot add the honey and brown sugar heat to a simmer add the cinnamon sticks and allspice then the orange juice and zest turn it off cover and cool quickly add this to the secondary asap. transfer the sauce into the beer

my primary was 10 days and the temp was around 70-72
this is one of my first originals so go easy eh.

I'm relatively new to the brewing scene, but why boil "the sauce?" won't that just release pectin from the cranberry making your beer cloudy?

To the OP, it will be fun to track your progress over the next year. Good luck.

I have always wanted to start a brewery. I am glad that I am finally getting into it. Maybe someday down the road...

Also I need to fill it to check for leaks and to mark the spots for the sight glass numbers (excuse the smudges and greasy cutting oil fingerprints):

Looks like you aren't using sanitary connections on your valves and whatnot....are you not concerned with that part of your brew rig? I'd personally go tri-clover just because you're going to be selling this stuff to strangers, and the world is litigation-happy nowadays...

Quick question for ya akthor: my fiance and I will be heading to the NE this October for our honeymoon and your place sounds just like the place i want to be for a night or so of great beer and good BBQ.

What's you're projected opening date, as of today?

Do you mean using weldless vs. Welded bulkheads? I was unaware of there being any sanitary concerns in one vs the other? I am also not aware of sanitary issues with normal SS valves vs. Tri clover?

If as I go on I discover these are things that need to be changed then I would make the necessary adjustments.

I will have to do some research first.

[QUOTE=Zixxer10R;3922019]Looks like you aren't using sanitary connections on your valves and whatnot....are you not concerned with that part of your brew rig? I'd personally go tri-clover just because you're going to be selling this stuff to strangers, and the world is litigation-happy nowadays...[/QUOTE]

If everything goes as planned I hope to be open by the fall.

Either way cool folks are always welcome to hang out. I am sure for a honeymooning couple even if we aren't open yet we can still fire up the smoker and throw a little shin dig ;)

Quick question for ya akthor: my fiance and I will be heading to the NE this October for our honeymoon and your place sounds just like the place i want to be for a night or so of great beer and good BBQ.

What's you're projected opening date, as of today?

Do you mean using weldless vs. Welded bulkheads? I was unaware of there being any sanitary concerns in one vs the other? I am also not aware of sanitary issues with normal SS valves vs. Tri clover?

If as I go on I discover these are things that need to be changed then I would make the necessary adjustments.

I will have to do some research first.

[QUOTE=Zixxer10R;3922019]Looks like you aren't using sanitary connections on your valves and whatnot....are you not concerned with that part of your brew rig? I'd personally go tri-clover just because you're going to be selling this stuff to strangers, and the world is litigation-happy nowadays...
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, i should have clarified. So a tri clover is USUALLY welded on, what i failed to mention is that the tri clover setup is innately sanitary because the threads and working parts don't ever touch wort. With welding, if you don't specify the welds be done sanitary (that is, the actual welds being attached with more care than a simple tack-ing...im not too clear on the process difference but someone will know) then you'll always have trapped non-sanitary materials inside the weld that could leach out.

here for sanitary weld blurb: https://www.aibonline.org/newsletter/Magazine/Jan_Feb2010/5Welding.pdf

here for why tri clovers are used when sanitation is key (I was a bit overzealous in thinking i'd find exactly what i was looking for, but this is a good place to start): http://www.brewershardware.com/how_to_use_tri_clover_fittings.html

Well finally after 4 weekends of work the living area is painted and ready for me to move in this Saturday (phew) Saturday I will be officially moved.

On the brewing side I got my 2nd keggle polished but had a setback because the fittings I tried to use didn't work out for installing my HERMS coil. So I gotta figure something out there.

I was so tired I didn't take any pics of the finished paint job but I am going down Friday to do some cleaning and to bring down my 100 or so , lights, neons, metal and wooden signs and get them hung up before we move everything else down Saturday. So I will get some pics then.

Fittings can be a bear.
I did my coil first in copper. It allowed me to run to home depot to get the right fitting five minutes after I came home with the wrong one.

I figure as I go along, I'll replace it with stainless, but its good to get the kinks out with copper. McMaster is close to where I live, but it isn't as close as the neighborhood Home Depot

Good Luck. I love the way this is progressing.

Akthor! Where in Maine man? I live in New Hampshire on the border of Acton/Lebanon. Would love to check it out when it is done! Hope you aren't WAY the hell up in THE COUNTY! lol

I'm in the mid coast about 45 mins away from Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park.

I know I have been lazy with the pictures. All the painting and moving activities was messing with my back and school has been a ***** lately but I promise a whole bunch this weekend ;)

Hey guys quick update, been working on getting moved in and set up. Amazing how much stuff one guy can accumulate! To make matters worse I fell down the stairs too and hurt my knee really bad so bad back and bad knee have slowed down the process. I hope to be done by this weekend and post some pictures.

So got most of my crap moved in. Still have some stuff in the storage shed of the old place but nothing of super great importance.

So if you remember the new place looked like this:

living2.jpg

living3.jpg

living33.jpg

living44.jpg

Here it is with all the previous tenants stuff gone. Walls and cabinets painted. All my crap hung on the walls and my HT installed (please excuse the tools and stuff on my bar I am using it as a temporary workbench):

2012-04-09 13.46.35.jpg

2012-04-09 13.46.56.jpg

2012-04-09 13.47.15.jpg

2012-04-09 13.47.30.jpg

2012-04-09 13.47.46.jpg

Ok so thats the living area. Now on the brewing side of things this coming weekend besides organizing and cleaning we are installing a new double utility sink (got delivered today) with a commercial pre-rinse sprayer. We are also going to tackle moving the washer and dryer and building and installing some sort of hood and ventilation system.

I have to polish my last keg then install all the bits and the goal is that by Monday everything is done so that I can start actually brewing beer for the first time on my new system. Towards that end I got the final shiny bits a trub filter from Brewer's Hardware along with the needed tri-clamps and other bits to install it onto my brew keggle. Since I was ordering from them anyways I also got a stir plate.

Here are pics of the sink, sprayer, trub filter, stir plate:

b5289534-399a-4037-b770-2d720b3a7a81_300.jpg

bk_bkf-dmpr-wb.gif

2012-04-09 13.52.28.jpg

That's an excellent idea I will have to look into it ;)

I can't wait to clean and sanitize things in the new sink with the sprayer. I've been doing it all in a normal kitchen sink for a couple years now and as I am sure many of you can relate to it's makes a big mess of the kitchen.

Looks awesome! I wonder how much it would cost for a star San dispenser for the sink.

Also I started an email address for the brewery. Also anyone local to me (Verona Island, Maine) or who is coming up this way and wants to get together you can email me at 10gallonales.com

This weekend I think we are going to play Rock Band and have a bon fire and of course some brews if anyone wants to stop by, (Once I talk to you and verify your not a serial killer or nothing ;) )

Earlier before we start drinking we are probably going to shoot some guns. (Yup we can do that here as well ;) )

I will also be starting a Twitter feed and a Facebook account for the brewery. I don't use social media sites for myself so I need to figure them out before I can set them up.

I already have about 20 folks locally who I have hung out with since the move, people I went to high school with 25+ yrs ago, friends of friends and of my GF who live local who are saying they will be regulars. This area is dying for a place that has good beer and a laid back atmosphere without loud music, power drinkers, skanks, and a$$holes ruining peoples evenings.

Also getting a lot of positive feedback about the campground idea.

OK I know its been a couple weeks since an update but I have been busy as hell and working my ass off both on this project and with the semester ending at school.

Excuse the clutter there is still lots of junk from the PO that has to go and I still have cleaning and organizing to do.

We dug up up the old firepit and moved it out from under the power lines and I rebuilt it using brick and a steel fire ring as opposed to rocks.

We moved the washer and dryer, which meant running some ingenious plumbing modifications. The washer and dryer used to sit next to the utility sink which was right where I wanted to put the brew stand.

Took out the old utility sink and installed a new double sink and the commercial pre-rinse sprayer. What an amazing upgrade from trying to clean and sanitize kegs in the kitchen sink!

I bought a 12" commercial exhaust fan (2150 cfms) we installed it into the wall above where the brew stand sits. Been raining the last few days so I haven't had a chance to finish off outside where the fan exits.

We built a large hood that covers the entire brew stand out of 2x3's and luan and painted it with rustoleum to protect it against moisture. My original plan was to fabricate some sort of steel hood but the fan is such a beast and pulls so much air that I felt I could save some money and go this route for the hood.

Finally got my 3rd keggle polished and all the stainless bits installed and the FB since it is my MT.

Installed a large filter to filter the water before it enters the HLT.

We built a rugged stand to make into my grain mill. Of course the mill I ordered was out of stock but should be getting shipped this week. I have a 2" pulley and a 12" pulley and the belt and 1720 rpm electric motor with control box all ready for when the mill shows up to assemble it.

Installed party lights on the porch ;)

So lots of progress but still a ton to do.

Next up I need to fill all the keggles and do a leak check and calibrate my sight glasses.

Cut and make all the silicone hoses I need.

I got some diamond plate aluminum to use as splash guards for my chugger pumps so I have to cut and install that.

I am going to mount a piece of 4' x 8' steel roofing onto the wall with stand offs behind the brew stand as a heat shield to protect the laundry plumbing, wiring, and the wooden wall itself.

I need to get all the CO2 plumbing and faucet shanks out of my old kegerator and seal the holes (the black fridge in the pictures) We are converting a chest freezer into a keezer for upstairs (my personal bar) so I am going to use this fridge for lagering.

Obviously lots more cleaning and organizing.

After these projects are complete we will begin to tackle the walk in cooler build.

Excuse some of the crappy pics.

2012-04-25 17.47.15.jpg

2012-04-25 17.45.05.jpg

2012-04-25 17.46.08.jpg

2012-04-25 17.43.50.jpg

2012-04-25 17.45.37.jpg

Latest posts

Back