It's Finally here!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
IMG_0718.jpg

I took advantage of the 10% off free shipping at MWS. I can't wait to get started with my new kit. Has anybody brewed this beer yet? On the recipe box it says to put the yeast in the fridge upon delivery. Is that necessary to do right now? Should I do that a day before brew day?

Put the yeast in the fridge now. This will keep the viability more stable. Hot yeast will kill cells.

On brewday morning take the yeast out of the refrigerator and put it on the counter to warm to room temperature before adding to the wort. You want the wort and yeast temperatures to be pretty close.

Put the yeast in the fridge now. This will keep the viability more stable. Hot yeast will kill cells.

On brewday morning take the yeast out of the refrigerator and put it on the counter to warm to room temperature before adding to the wort. You want the wort and yeast temperatures to be pretty close.

Awesome thanks!

Got my starter kit about a month ago. # 1 tip, be sure you have a big enough pot, at least 5 gallon. Only has 3'so had to use two pots and spit everything. Beer turned out perfect, but it made a mess.

Got my starter kit about a month ago. # 1 tip, be sure you have a big enough pot, at least 5 gallon. Only has 3'so had to use two pots and spit everything. Beer turned out perfect, but it made a mess.

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased a 5gal stainless pot to go along with my kit.

Congrats! When you gonna get it dirty?

Either tomorrow or the next day. Speaking of...will the LME be ok in the box for a few days? Or should I put it in the refrigerator? It's an Autumn Amber Ale LME from Midwest Supplies.

Get that yeast in the fridge. It's better for yeast no matter what, but especially if it's liquid yeast it's critical you get it in the fridge ASAP.

Best o' luck on the brew. You'll be shocked at how easy it really is to make beer. Just make sure you're thorough with your sanitation, and keep those fermentation temperatures under control. Search the forum for "swamp cooler" and you'll see a bunch of ways to do that cheap and easy.

Yeah...before you start your brew, place the LME in some hot/warm water to loosen it up. That stuff is like molasses. Also, make surr that you rinse it with hot water and pour it in your pot to boil as well. You dont want to waste even a drop of that nectar of the Gods.

Congrats! Good luck and remember to relax and enjoy the whole brewing process
Cheers!

Get that yeast in the fridge. It's better for yeast no matter what, but especially if it's liquid yeast it's critical you get it in the fridge ASAP.

Best o' luck on the brew. You'll be shocked at how easy it really is to make beer. Just make sure you're thorough with your sanitation, and keep those fermentation temperatures under control. Search the forum for "swamp cooler" and you'll see a bunch of ways to do that cheap and easy.

+1 on the realizing how easy it is. Sanitation is key though, I can't stress that enough. After I brewed my first batch I was astonished at how easy it was. Then I was hooked. I hope the same happens to you :D Good luck on the brewing!

+1 on the realizing how easy it is. Sanitation is key though, I can't stress that enough. After I brewed my first batch I was astonished at how easy it was. Then I was hooked. I hope the same happens to you :D Good luck on the brewing!

I think I'm already hooked! I baught a mr beer kit not long ago and brewed two batches. It's an awesome hobby so far.

LME should be kept in the fridge to keep it fresh. It's DME that is ok to keep on the pantry shelf. So yeast & LME in the fridge,Hops in the freezer,DME,dextrose,& the like in the pantry. Just remember to take them out of the fridge on brew day to come up to room temp.

I made the MW autumn amber kit last April. Really great beer, I think you will enjoy it a lot. I got a lot of complements on it!

LME should be kept in the fridge to keep it fresh. It's DME that is ok to keep on the pantry shelf. So yeast & LME in the fridge,Hops in the freezer,DME,dextrose,& the like in the pantry. Just remember to take them out of the fridge on brew day to come up to room temp.

I did some research on it and you are about the only one who says to put LME in the fridge. I guess it's safer to do it if you plan on storing the extract for a month or more.

Back