It's a hot one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat.sam

Reaction score
I'm out in my garage brewing up a nice two-row, but damn it's hot outside. It's going to be well worth it, but I had to gripe.

I don't have a immersion chiller and I usually chill off the wort with a cold bath, I just don't know if today I will be able to pull it off. Guess I'll double up on the ice.

This will also be the first time I will keep my fermentation in a cool water bath and switch frozen milk (water) jugs daily. I am hoping to keep the temps in the upper 60's range. Has anyone had success doing this?

I found a large tupperware container that holds two carboys nicely, and is almost as tall as they are. With the ice jug/water bath level up to the top of carboy body, I don't even need a wet t-shirt. Even cut a couple of holes out of the lid, and it keeps my brew in the dark!

Good luck!

I've had good success so far with fermenting in a water bath. Here in WI, my cold tap water is ~64-66F which seems to work pretty well for ales. I don't even bother with ice jugs after the active fermentation has stopped. I just change the water every day or so, never gets above 70F unless it's really hot. Mind you, I live in an apt. and don't pay for water.

I have pretty much devoted the bathtub in my second bathroom to fermenting. GF's griping be damned. I'm makin' brew! :ban: :mug:
"umm... can i please use your shower, dear?"

Seriously though, i'm about to make one of these. Better, easier, and doesn't waste so much water.

My philosophy is "don't fight nature", so I found some yeast that allow me to brew when it's crazy hot. I spent summer a year ago living in the attic of a big house. It was regularly hot enough to cause a body to sweat while sleeping despite fans and open windows. A fellow at a homebrew shop claimed that his employer (a brewery) fermented White Labs Saisson I Ale yeast all the way up to 90 F without problems. White Labs data sheet on flavors indicates as much, and having brewed in that heinously hot attic with the WL Saisson yeast, I was pleasantly surprised that despite the fact that it was my first AG batch and I significantly undershot the OG (darn, a 3.5% ABV), the beer drinks well, even now!

I'm new to the brewing game, but Texas is too damn hot for a lot of brews (ie. the banana wit about to be bottled) but thats all about to change, found a small chest freezer on craigslist for $50 and a ranco controller on ebay for $40. The freezer only took some slight modification to fit my primary.

The cool water bath has been keeping my primary temp in the low 70's/upper 60's which is cooler than my last two batches. I am anxious to see if this makes a difference in flavor.

Knock on wood, all my brews have been good, at least to me, and I have had primary temps in the upper 70's for my last two attempts. Maybe I don't fully appreciate how diacetyls or alcoholic tastes affect the outcome of my beer, but overall I am extremely pleased with how my AGs have been.

I have also been happy with the US safale 56 with the last few beers. It compares with the liquid and less than half the cost.

:off:

(nevin) said:
I'm new to the brewing game, but Texas is too damn hot for a lot of brews (ie. the banana wit about to be bottled) but thats all about to change, found a small chest freezer on craigslist for $50 and a ranco controller on ebay for $40. The freezer only took some slight modification to fit my primary.

:eek: Could it be? Another person named Nevin? It's my first name and actually quite rare. Up until about 2 yrs. ago, I had only ever seen it as a surname on gravestones. :cross: If you are one of the "blessed," then that makes 3 I know of (including myself).

-A cold one for ya Nevin :mug:

On topic (sorta):
@98EXL (costs for FC): A 4' x 8' sheet of 2" polystyrene insulation will run anywhere from $16-$25. Then all you need is the fan (less than $10), thermostat ($10 -20) , and power supply (less than $10). Oh yeah, and some adhesive caulk. If you really shop around, you could probably do it for under $45. The PDF file in the DIY section has a couple suggestions for suppliers. Plus, with good sealing, the only real energy cost is to freeze the ice jugs.

I am currently constructing one, but I lucked out in that we had a couple sheets of insulation at work that we could no longer use because they didn't meet fire codes. I used the xtra to make mine large enough for 2 carboys or buckets. If it works well, I'm considering making a third, single unit for lager temps.

Back