Italian wild boar salami

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniele96

Reaction score
Salami made up with wild boar meat and lard. Dry aged for 5 months

Salami made up with wild boar meat and lard. Dry aged for 5 months
This is the photo
FB_IMG_1515703769373.jpeg

Last edited:
I mist mine with Penicillium camemberti (candidum). It did form a nice protective coating. But it's Penicillium nalgiovense that is normally used. You can get it here: http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207&products_id=334

I do also have geo on hand. Maybe I'll give that a try next time I hang salami, probably this winter.

Ah, great, OK, thanks passedpawn. Love salumi, would love to give it a try. Many thanks for the link as well.

Looks awesome! How big was the boar you used?
It was about 215 kg of weight and 160 cm in highness. I killed it last October near Cuneo in Italian West Alps it was a male example that had stolen me a lot of apples and chestnut for years but finnaly I had my annual dose of wild boar meat to prepare polenta and salami

I’d assume that was his hung for a while before that pic. Temperature? Was humidity controlled? What culture added for pH?
Yes it had been hanging for some days at 20ºC and than I keep them on my cellar (a cave dug into tuff with constant temperature of 13ºC). I don't control humidity simply because I can't (my cellar is very ancient like my house which was built in XVII century and I have no electricity in the cellar). I didn't had anything for pH I only use wild boar meat and lard with a glass of Barbera d'Asti, dryed herbs and salt.

I let natural fungis work on my salami. In Italy we make salami in this way

It would be wonderful to have a cellar or cave, and the correct weather, to make salami. In Florida, we have none of that. So, because we have to cure meat in artificial "caves", we also have to introduce artificial flora to protect the meat. At least that's my situation.

It would be wonderful to have a cellar or cave, and the correct weather, to make salami. In Florida, we have none of that. So, because we have to cure meat in artificial "caves", we also have to introduce artificial flora to protect the meat. At least that's my situation.

+1. Kudos for pulling it off, passed.

It was about 215 kg of weight and 160 cm in highness. I killed it last October near Cuneo in Italian West Alps it was a male example that had stolen me a lot of apples and chestnut for years but finnaly I had my annual dose of wild boar meat to prepare polenta and salami

Don't know if you can get ahold of it but for a time we had "Avec Eric" streaming free on Netflix or Hulu, I think. This is the French Chef Eric Ripert, who owns and runs Le Bernardin, arguably the best seafood place in the world, in NY. It's a show devoted to some aspect of food, land, culture, and he closes in his apartment, making something easy and delish.

Season 1, Episode 1, is entitled "Big Flavors." It is set in Chianti, though it begins in his own place, with a look at the work his self-effacing but extraordinarily gifted saucier puts forth. Episode shifts to a wild boar hunt and he eats an unbelievable looking boar ragu with pappardelle, fireside, in the wonderfully warm Villa Bordoni. I no longer hunt, but watching that has, I'll admit, stoked some fire to bring my Marlin 45-70 out of mothballs, and head south.

Just want to say what a great thread. Nice to know what you and others are doing, making this delicious family of foods.

Don't know if you can get ahold of it but for a time we had "Avec Eric" streaming free on Netflix or Hulu, I think. This is the French Chef Eric Ripert, who owns and runs Le Bernardin, arguably the best seafood place in the world, in NY. It's a show devoted to some aspect of food, land, culture, and he closes in his apartment, making something easy and delish.

Season 1, Episode 1, is entitled "Big Flavors." It is set in Chianti, though it begins in his own place, with a look at the work his self-effacing but extraordinarily gifted saucier puts forth. Episode shifts to a wild boar hunt and he eats an unbelievable looking boar ragu with pappardelle, fireside, in the wonderfully warm Villa Bordoni. I no longer hunt, but watching that has, I'll admit, stoked some fire to bring my Marlin 45-70 out of mothballs, and head south.

Just want to say what a great thread. Nice to know what you and others are doing, making this delicious family of foods.
Chianti hills are in Tuscany and there people love venison meat but the wild boar in Apennines area are smaller in size. Although the smaller size of the examples they prepare fantastic dishes with venison meat and a lot of types of salami or ham with then

Yes it had been hanging for some days at 20ºC and than I keep them on my cellar (a cave dug into tuff with constant temperature of 13ºC). I don't control humidity simply because I can't (my cellar is very ancient like my house which was built in XVII century and I have no electricity in the cellar). I didn't had anything for pH I only use wild boar meat and lard with a glass of Barbera d'Asti, dryed herbs and salt.
you see that is what I have been trying to tell everyone here... we don't use pink salt or any other starters … just 3% salt, natural casing and some pepper... everyone says im going to die but my family is form Italy and they have been doing this as long as my grand father can remember

Chianti hills are in Tuscany and there people love venison meat but the wild boar in Apennines area are smaller in size. Although the smaller size of the examples they prepare fantastic dishes with venison meat and a lot of types of salami or ham with then

I’m flying to Tuscany on Thursday and am so psyched for the cinghiale!

you see that is what I have been trying to tell everyone here... we don't use pink salt or any other starters … just 3% salt, natural casing and some pepper... everyone says im going to die but my family is form Italy and they have been doing this as long as my grand father can remember
I use some processes which are the same described by ancient latin authors in their works on agriculture: the process used today for Italian prosciuttos is detailed described in De agricultura by Cato the censor for example, obviously during the centuries something is changed and a lot of laws about health were added on food production but the process of salting and washing of prosciutto is the same of the old Roman. Probabily in Roman age they didn't know the preservation with chemical additives but they knew all the preservatives additives contained in natural elements they had. In salami the use of salt and garlic (garlic and all liliaceae plants kill the bad fungi and bacteria which destroy meat and salt creates bad conditions for bacteria and fungi) or wine (wine's alcohol kills bacteria) consent to have a good preservation of the meat and it is a natural way as old as the human race probably.

Back