Italian Floor Corker Cleaniness Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleben113

Reaction score
I just bought a used Italian floor corker today and it is overall in really good shape but I am wondering about the cleanliness of the cork compression jaws. The whole unit came dusty, including the jaws and I guess the dust plus the lubricant combined to make it look pretty dirty. Assuming that this is only dust, I am still reluctant to use it because it doesn't look sanitary.

How can I clean this thing to make sure that I won't taint the corks that I cork with? Do I even need to clean it if I plan on soaking my corks in sanitizer? I just don't want to find out after my wines have been aging that they were all infected by this thing

Thanks in advance for your help

If you're worried about cleanliness use some PBW and a brush and clean it. And you might want to think twice about soaking your corks in any sanitizer - I don't think that's a god idea. Do some more reading before you try it.

Best of Luck!

I'll probably hit it with some PBW and go ahead and spray some sanitizer on there. I've heard I should soak the corks and that I shouldn't. I haven't done any research on that yet but I will before I bottle.

Thanks for the info

Do not clean the jaws with meta, they will rust and you'll end up having to buy replacements.

Don't soak the corks, make a "corkidor", take a bowl large enough to fit the amount of corks that you will need, and a small ramekin of meta solution.
I heat the meta solution in the microwave hot enough that it puts off steam, put it in the bigger bowl, put all of the corks around it and cover it tight.
Within a few minutes the steam will soften the corks without having to soak them.

From WineMaker Mag:
Natural corks today have a coating that’s comprised of a mixture of silicone and paraffin wax. This coating helps protect the cork somewhat but most importantly, the paraffin provides the corks with a little tackiness so that the cork doesn't slip down into the neck of the bottle when it’s forced in by the corking machine.

You have a greater chance of melting off the silicone and paraffin coating when soaking or boiling. You will therefore have a greater chance of corks not staying put once in the bottle (pushing out or sinking into the neck). This could possibly lead to more oxygen and microbes getting into your wine, a scary proposition, not to mention that they can get contaminated by any ambient bacteria or molds that might be floating around in the room or indigenous to the corks themselves.

"meta solution"??
I googled it and even google was confused...maybe it has not had enough coffee yet just as I.

I understand that you are low temp steaming your corks but I do not know what a meta solution is. I plan on corking this year.

I crumple up some paper towels and push them through the corker like corks.

Thanks for the info y'all. So PBW it is. I still probably need to sanitize the jaws before each use right? Could it hurt by just squirting some starsan solution onto them?

Latest posts

Back