It is Cinco de Mayo - Best Margarita recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWars

Reaction score
Lets hear em.

I have to go to the store to get some supplies and want to make a margarita that is going to blow my mind tonight.

At one time we just bought the pre-made stuff (terrible IMO - but easy) - I have tried a few recipes and have never been blown away like at some restaurants.

You guys (and yooper) haven't steered me wrong yet. Hit me with your best recipe!

Thanks in advance!!!

7 parts tequila, 4 parts triple sec, 3 parts lime juice.

Either on the rocks, or blended....

I like Cuervo Silver 1800 or whatever it is. IMO don't waste money on Patron, El Jimador, or other higher dollar stuff if you're gonna mix it...

I like the Chili's Presidente Margarita.

1 1/4 ounces tequila (SAUZAS COMMEMORATIVO)
1/2 ounce Cointreau liqueur
1/2 ounce brandy (PRESIDENTE)
4 ounces liquid sweet and sour cocktail mix
1/8-1/4 fluid ounce lime juice (splash)

I like az_ipa's formula but strongly disagree with his view on using cheap tequila. This recipe which is classic 50% tequila and 50% other stuff cries out for quality hooch. Unlike a typical restaurant swill that is 1 shot of tequila and 5 shots of other stuff including revolting sour mix.

Spend >$30 on a reposado, use 7/4/3 where 3 is fresh squeezed lime juice or 2/1/1 when using a sweetened lime juice like roses.

While I splurge on tequila I don't find a big benefit to using Cointreau over cheap triple sec. To each his own.

I like fruit based Margaritas, frozen.

Couple handfuls of ice
1/3 can frozen lemonade or limeade
1 cup frozen blueberries
couple frozen strawberries
Tequila and triple sec to taste

I like az_ipa's formula but strongly disagree with his view on using cheap tequila. This recipe which is classic 50% tequila and 50% other stuff cries out for quality hooch. Unlike a typical restaurant swill that is 1 shot of tequila and 5 shots of other stuff including revolting sour mix.

Spend >$30 on a reposado, use 7/4/3 where 3 is fresh squeezed lime juice or 2/1/1 when using a sweetened lime juice like roses.

While I splurge on tequila I don't find a big benefit to using Cointreau over cheap triple sec. To each his own.

I just don't consider 1800 Silver to be cheap :eek:

But, yes, I agree completely with you, especially on not using sweet n sour mix.

artbrau said:

Spend >$30 on a reposado, use 7/4/3 where 3 is fresh squeezed lime juice or 2/1/1 when using a sweetened lime juice like roses. You will be amazed at how rich a nice tequila will be.

I should add that Herradura reposado is the house hooch in my casita. If you are on a budget the sauza reposado is a step above the awful cuervo. I wouldn't begrudge anyone the preference for a blanco over a reposado but I like all my flavors amped up to 11.

Or throw away the triple sec and the lime juice an just sip an anejo.

Have y'all ever used limeade instead of sweet/sour mix? It works pretty well. I used to make margaritas with a can of limeade, then 2/3rds of the can tequila, 1/3 triple sec and then full pitcher of ice in the blender. Comes out great everytime. I'm not a tequila snob, but I know I don't like Cuervo. Puked it up once and can barely touch the stuff now.

2 ounces A good Silver Tequila
1/2 ounce Cointreau liqueur
Lots fresh squeezed Lime Juice about 3-4 fresh limes
Splash Sweet and sour
all poured over a packed glass of crushed ice then shaken well

Have y'all ever used limeade instead of sweet/sour mix? It works pretty well. I used to make margaritas with a can of limeade, then 2/3rds of the can tequila, 1/3 triple sec and then full pitcher of ice in the blender. Comes out great everytime. I'm not a tequila snob, but I know I don't like Cuervo. Puked it up once and can barely touch the stuff now.

This is what we ended up doing. Pretty damn good. Used a silver. :rockin:

I sip resposado, but use silver in margaritas. I prefer Cazadores, Corazon, or Milagro for margaritas.

I just got a bottle of Espalon Resposado, which for $24 is an awesome tequila.

Sounds odd, but it's really good...and as beer lovers y'all will love it!

The 666 Margarita

1 - 6 oz. can frozen limeade into the blendy
Refill the can with 6 oz. Herradura Reposado - into the blendy
Refill the can with 6 oz. Mexican-style lager - Sol, Modelo Especiale, etc. - into the blendy.

Take it for a spin. Add ice and re-spin to desired consistency.

Salt your rim, pour it in and enjoy!!

Latest posts

Back