It has been a few years.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkinIrish

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first batch after a 2 year hiatus, but I forgot a few things.

The list of things that I messed up on,
  • any kind of clearing agent (Irish moss Ect.)
  • a thermometer that could read below 100deg f
  • to top off my fermentor to the 5 gal mark

The first two were just poor planing the last one was because I had been drinking the entire boil.:drunk:

My concern is what kind of off flavors can I expect from possibly not cooling my wort down to fermentation temps before pitching the yeast?
Also is there any concern of "hot aeration" because I may have aerated my wort at more of the 80 or 90 deg range?

Some info I suspect you will want to know
  • I used dry yeast and pitched directly into the wort
  • the fermentation started within the first 15 min
  • the temp reading on my fermentor was 83

I have full confidence that this beer will be drinkable, but I would just like to know the tiny things that will be wrong with it that only brewers and the like will be able to pick out.

Sounds very close to my first brewing experience. The result was a beer that tasted good going down but caused a nasty tasting burp after every sip. The final bottle, about five months later, was excellent and didn't have that aftereffect.

Better start another batch just to be safe :mug:

Better start another batch just to be safe :mug:

As a matter of fact I have a kit on the way and should be here on Tuesday. It is the Peace Coffee Java Stout from Midwest. I have some friends that are interested in getting into homebrewing coming over to help out and get an idea of how it works.:rockin:

I did my last batch to kind of get back into the groove of things.:tank:

Back