Issuies with using keg as secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
I tried to use my keg as a secondary to free up my better bottles it went horribly wrong. I moved 2 weeks from primary to keg for 3 weeks dry hopped in keg last week then 30psi for 3 days.then back to 10psi. It was a complete mess out line kept getting clogged with hops, ended up racking back into a better bottle then straining into a keg. Anyone else have theses problems or no how to aviod them. Or should i just go primary ,secondary, keg. I even jacked the pressure up to try to blow it threw no luck

I secondary condition in the kegs all the time. Sometimes I will carb in the keg with priming sugar, other times, they will carb themselves with no sugar added.

I have found that putting hops in a keg isnt always a good idea, as you may have found with the clogging. When the hop bag opens up, there will be a lot of hops moving about. Muslin bag didnt work well for me, the nylon one is better - if you can keep it closed.

Right now I am conditioning a lager in the keg. 3 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the keg, then I will sample. Its a cheap fizzy yellow lager recipe, so its a good one to experiment with. Tasted good during racking. It will likely be nearly carbed after two weeks. Not sure how this process will affect the brew, but its worth a try. I have made this same recipe with traditional primary,secondary,kegging process, so we will see if there is a difference.

when ever i dry hop i just dump them right in, no bag . But i guess i should put them in a bag and when u rack to keg/ or kick the keg u just dump the bag out? What the best way to go to get the bag out

I use the old soda kegs, and I can get my hand inside and pull the bag out. I am not small either, 6'4" 250 lbs. so my arms and hands are big.

I would get the nylon mesh bag, tie it super tight and knot the string up well.

Back