Issues with Isinglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer666

Reaction score
I have always used "beer brite" finings but switched to Majicol isinglass and not getting the same results. The beer is no where near as bright. The majicol does not dissolve as well and makes a much thinner solution although i have not mixed it with a blender as advised.
Beer brite's listed ingredients are isinglass, malto-dextrin, potassium metabisulphite and malic acid. I am wondering if i can add some of these ingredients together to make an improved fining agent or if i should get a stick blender. Although i have read the majicol data sheet and it states it must be mixed 24 hours in advance i have not found this helped and there is a lot of conflicting instructions online.

I bought some more beer brite and each pack contains 6.5g. Thinking the potassium metabisulphite and malic acid are preservatives and the malto is for binding. Using 1.5 packs makes it about 10g of pwder used on 28l of beer. Following the majicol instructions i would only use 2g so this is probably whey i am not getting the same results.
Bought a stick blender and its easier to mix but makes me concerned about adding an highly oxygenated liquid to my beer.

I have noticed a significant improvement using beer brite over magicol. Its clear and ready to drink the day after kegging. How long do you normally wait for isinglass to clear? Is it used commercially or do they use filters instead?

Back