Issues converting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tularac

Reaction score
I have been tinkering with with a recipe for a couple brews now and have recently upgraded to all grain.

efficiency is not that great. Still having trouble hitting my mash temps, but getting there.

My current Coffee porter extract recipe calls for 7 lbs. Alexander's pale malt extract.

How exactly would i convert this to grain figuring 65-70% efficiency?

A tool like beersmith will help do the conversion for you. It will also let you enter the efficiency you are getting and adjust the sg, fg, Ibu, and whatnot accordingly. With that in place you can tweak your recipe to get the numbers you are looking for. There is a free 21 day trial if you don't own it already. I am sure other tools will do the same thing for you but I am not familiar with them.

The best thing in my opinion is to determine what YOUR efficiency is for your system....and adjust your recipe based on that efficiency to give you the desired results.

Back