Issue with Incomplete Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultryx

Reaction score
On April 25th I brewed v2.0 of my IPA. I only tweaked the recipe slightly from before (addition of Cascade hops paired with Cashmere) and kept a better eye on the temperature. It is now May 16th and the FG is still not what I was expecting. On Monday of this week I opened the fermenter and gave the beer a gentle swirl to try and encourage the yeast to continue their job. This IPA worked fine last time and AFAIK my packet of US-05 yeast had an expiration date into 2021 or 2022 so it should have been plenty good. Just purchased from my LHBS prior to the brew. I never noticed airlock activity on this brew and I know that no airlock activity does not mean yeast aren't working. So I left it be. Here are the specs of what I brewed:

ABV: 6.7% | SG: 1.063 | FG: 1.012 | IBUs: 67

12 # 2-Row
12 oz C40
8 oz Vienna
4 oz Honey malt
1 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Cashmere @ 60
1.5 oz Cascade @105
1.5 oz Cashmere @ 10
1 oz Cascade (aroma) 175° F for 10 mins
1 oz Cashmere (aroma) 175° F for 10 mins
1 oz Cascade 5 days into fermentation
1 oz Cashmere 5 days into fermentation
1 packet Safale US-05

Mashed at 152° F for 60 minutes.

Current FG is sitting at 1.030 which is considerably higher than the expected value. Gently swirled the yeast and gave it another week. No change. Current temperature of beer is 68.4° F I was wondering if I should go to my LHBS today and buy another packet of US-05 or if this batch is a lost cause. I'm at a loss because I haven't had this issue before. I brewed my gingerbread ale a bit ago and used S-04 for the first time and it was bubbling like crazy within 6 hours.

Edit: Good thing I posted this in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum haha. Don't forget to use an alcohol adjustment if y'all are taking your FG with a refractometer.

Last edited:
That yeast should have had no problem fermenting that . Did you use a hydrometer or refractometer?

That's what I thought too. Used the same style of yeast last time too. I have a refractometer with auto temperature calibration. I double checked with one of my sours I just kegged and that was fine (FG wise) and test with my distilled water to be sure. Seems fine.

That's your issue . Use a hydrometer for FG . If you use a refractometer you have to do some calculation . I bet if you checked via hydrometer you will find out it's done.

That's your issue . Use a hydrometer for FG . If you use a refractometer you have to do some calculation . I bet if you checked via hydrometer you will find out it's done.

Oh dear lord you're right. I used one last time and I FORGOT THIS TIME. Ugh. Haha well I still didn't see any airlock activity but we'll see how it is after the conversion.

Thanks! 6 brews in and I'm such a noob still!

Edit: My sour clocks in at 4.1% and the IPA at 6.25%. Never stop learning haha!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back