Issue with 63A main contactor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernip

Reaction score
Working on building my control panel and am having issues getting my main power contactor to feed power to the rest of the unit. I have 240V to the incoming side but can't get it to pass through.

I had 120v main power running through the Auberin SW6 power to the A1 and A2 went to neutral. I verified I had 120v to A1 but it still wasn't getting any power to 2 & 4. This is when I realized I messed up and ordered the 63A contactor with 240v coil instead of a 120v coil. Can I still make this work or do I need to order different parts? A second NC block for the SW6 or a contactor with 120v coil?

DINCON63_220_1_2048x.jpg

Using an Auberin SW6 as the main shutoff.
SW6a.jpg

The pictured contactor has a 240V coil, and you describe only providing 120V (1 hot and neutral) to the coil. This will not work. You have to wire hot 1 to one of the Ax terminals and hot 2 to the other Ax terminal.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the entire post, and you had already diagnosed the issue. The fix is to wire A2 to the other hot line instead of neutral.

Brew on :mug:

You can definitely do what doug293cz is suggesting and it will fire the contactor.
The only minor issue that presents is a deviation in your control wiring for this one circuit.

Many industrial contactors have replaceable coils that would allow exchanging for a 120 volt coil. I don't know if that is an option for this particular unit, but you could always make an inquiry.

Thanks doug, I guess my question is how do I connect the second hot line and still keep the emergency power disconnect working. The SW6 has one NO and one NC block. I'm using the NC block for 1 hot leg to A1. Can I have the NC block connect to both the A1 and A2 to make it 240?

Thanks doug, I guess my question is how do I connect the second hot line and still keep the emergency power disconnect working. The SW6 has one NO and one NC block. I'm using the NC block for 1 hot leg to A1. Can I have the NC block connect to both the A1 and A2 to make it 240?
The e-stop circuit will still work, even if you only interrupt one of the hot lines to the contactor. Current flows in a loop, and if you break the loop anywhere, current flow stops. This is the same as only needing one SSR to shut off current to the element. Cutting current to the contactor coil will cause the contacts to open, disconnecting both hot wires from the element loop.

Brew on :mug:

Back