iSpindel help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is well above my understanding of networking. From what I understand the plugin gathers the data that has been sent to CBPI by HTTP request. If the pi isnt responding there might be something in the server (Apache?) that is blocking rhe request.

The tcpdump on the Raspberry Pi does show that it's receiving the traffic from the iSpindel.
But, something I saw there......
HTTP Unauthorized messages. Yikes. I forgot I had the HTTP authorization plugins installed.

I removed the HTTP Auth Plugins from CBPI and rebooted.

FIXED!!!!!!

Word to the wise.... Don't have a password/plugin set on the CBPI install. It won't work.
Maybe the iSpindel people need to add that to their list of features.

Last edited:
Great! Glad you were able to solve this. The CBPI/ spindel combo is pretty sweet. I have mine controlling the fermentation chamber (freezer) instead of using a thermowell. Battery last long enough with 2min updates from the ispindel.

Thanks flowidc - for all the help you've given me on this. I hope it also helps someone else in the future.

I use a plastic racking cane pinched off at the end for a thermowell to get down in the middle of the fermenter. I'll probably run them both on the next brew to see what the difference is at both depths.
I have to get the calibration figured out now, since the gravity is telling me
iSpindel Gravity
7.323SG
whatever that is. I still have it just say tilt in the CBPI setup.
Do I need to copy that long formula from the iSpindel config setup and put it in CBPI?

More reading to do on this.

It appears that I don't need to copy the polynomial from the iSpindel config page. Well, it won't work with Craftbeerpi anyway since it says that the ^ character is not allowed.

Reading the CraftbeerPi iSpindel plugin, I only need to enter "tilt" (without the quotes) in the polynomial field.

Is there more "calibrating" that needs to be done for accurate gravity readings?

Another question about the Raspberry Pi display.
Why won't the iSpindel gravity, temp and battery show up in a separate area on the fermenter display like it does on a brew kettle display? I can't chart the gravity and temp separately now.

Here are some screen shots
Brew kettle display has them separate, so charts can be seen
Annotation 2019-10-15 120628.png

and the fermenter has them combined in one, so I can't get a chart of the gravity
Annotation 2019-10-15 120643.png

Calibration can be done a number of ways. It is documented on the iSpindel github. Some people will calibrate using sugar and water and some calibrate during fermentation. The values are recorded (gravity and angle of device) and logged into a spreadsheet that will give you a polynomial. You can also use http://www.ispindel.de/tools/calibration/calibration.htm instead of the spreadsheet. I personally using 2 points: OG and water. While Im brewing Ill measure the device's angle in water. I then sanitize it in starsan and add it to the fermenter. I then record the angle of my OG as well as test the OG on a hydrometer. I plug those 2 data points in a spreadsheet and get the linear regression equation. Then I put that equation in the polynomial field in cbpi.

The "tilt" variable in the formula is giving only the angle of the device. Youre right you cant use the ^ in the cbpi formula but you can use **. The formula would look like this format: 0.5367*tilt**2 + 0.864*tilt -1.864

As far as adding the sensors on the fermentation page in cbpi i hope that will be a feature on v4.

For now I'll just keep the brewing portion of CBPI configured even when just using the fermenting controller so I can see the charts. I do have 2 separate CBPI controllers - one for brewing and one for fermenting.

At this point, I don't really care if the iSpindel is giving highly accurate readings. I initially planned on using it to only determine that fermentation is complete. But - I suppose I might as well calibrate it anyway if it's not that difficult.

Were you able to make it work? I'm a newbie with craftbeerpi but I was able to connect it. I used iSpindel firmware 6.2.0 and in configuration select CraftBeerPi and it's server instead of HTTP.
I can not figure out how to setup CBP to change the target temperature with the change in gravity measured by iSpindel. Any idea on how to do that?

Were you able to make it work? I'm a newbie with craftbeerpi but I was able to connect it. I used iSpindel firmware 6.2.0 and in configuration select CraftBeerPi and it's server instead of HTTP.
I can not figure out how to setup CBP to change the target temperature with the change in gravity measured by iSpindel. Any idea on how to do that?
I'll hopefully be brewing again this month if it warms up a little more here. It'll be the first time using the iSpindel.
The temperature change based on gravity sounds like something an Add-On will need to be used for. I'm not sure which one. Or if you're smart (not like me), you could write your own Add-On.

I'll hopefully be brewing again this month if it warms up a little more here. It'll be the first time using the iSpindel.
The temperature change based on gravity sounds like something an Add-On will need to be used for. I'm not sure which one. Or if you're smart (not like me), you could write your own Add-On.
Oh, I thought that that's the reason there is an iSpindel add-on, not just to read the iSpindel output. I have been using brewpiless with iSpindel on two chambers and that's the cool part, you can set the fermentation target temperature to change for different fermentation stages.
I was hoping that I can simplify and use the CBP with iSpindel on both chambers. I am more of a mechanical guy, not a wizz in programming. I guess I'll have to look into Fermentrack.

Does anyone have a source for the XL PET blanks here in the US? Everything I find is from someone in the UK or the stuff on amazon is the smaller standard 22mm opening size. I believe the iSpindel requires a 33mm opening.

For now I'll just keep the brewing portion of CBPI configured even when just using the fermenting controller so I can see the charts. I do have 2 separate CBPI controllers - one for brewing and one for fermenting.

At this point, I don't really care if the iSpindel is giving highly accurate readings. I initially planned on using it to only determine that fermentation is complete. But - I suppose I might as well calibrate it anyway if it's not that difficult.
Calibrating is not difficult, it just take some time.

Great! Glad you were able to solve this. The CBPI/ spindel combo is pretty sweet. I have mine controlling the fermentation chamber (freezer) instead of using a thermowell. Battery last long enough with 2min updates from the ispindel.
Hey, maybe you can help me a bit here. I am trying to get my ispindel talking to CBPI but is not sure what to put in at "server address" except of the ip, maybe the :port?
What to put in Path / URI?
I'm running CBPI3 on a RPIdesktop.
Also added the plugin for ispindel.
I'm only planning to use this to see how the fermenting is going in my two fridges.
tnx.

I did figure out my fault. Wrong name in the IS setting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back