Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been considering just doing all of my dry hopping with my carbonation gravity addition. I just wish I could somehow transfer to the serving vessel without losing aroma via the open gas post. I also don't want to transfer to the serving vessel with no fermentation activity left
Would you be able to use a spunding valve on the gas post of the receiving keg? Pre-pressurize it, set the spunding valve and transfer under counter pressure, pushing the beer out of the "from" keg with CO2? Maybe that would retain more aroma than an open-to-atmosphere gas post on the receiving keg?

This is how I'm thinking I'll transfer to a serving keg for my next attempt with this.

Last edited:
you would lose the same volume of air unless you fill the receiving keg to a higher pressure than it started at. I guess that it's possible that you could consider the fact that a higher pressure would keep volatiles in solution, but my ignorant brain says that it would be a lot less gentle than transferring to atmosphere and with the fermenter set to like 1 psi

you would lose the same volume of air unless you fill the receiving keg to a higher pressure than it started at. I guess that it's possible that you could consider the fact that a higher pressure would keep volatiles in solution, but my ignorant brain says that it would be a lot less gentle than transferring to atmosphere and with the fermenter set to like 1 psi
Oh, I think we were talking about different things haha. I thought you meant transferring carbonated beer from a conditioning keg to a serving keg. For doing that, I would pressurize the receiving to the same pressure as the serving keg, let's say it's 12 psi, connect the liquid posts together and then apply 14 psi or so to the gas post of the conditioning keg. On the gas post of the receiving keg, I would connect a spunding valve set to 12 psi. That way the high pressure would hopefully keep some of the volatile aromatics in the beer.

As far as the initial transfer from fermenter to conditioning keg, yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to pressurize my carboy too much for the transfer, so I leave the gas post of the receiving keg open to atmosphere for that. I can maybe convince myself that the restriction across the gas post is enough that it's still better for preserving volatiles than siphoning the beer in through an open lid (and definitely better for O2 avoidance). But realistically, the flow rate of gas going out through that gas post during the transfer is so small that there is probably very little pressure drop. So effectively the keg is at atmospheric pressure. Guys that are using stainless fermenters could do the counterpressure thing for that first transfer though.

I've been considering just doing all of my dry hopping with my carbonation gravity addition. I just wish I could somehow transfer to the serving vessel without losing aroma via the open gas post. I also don't want to transfer to the serving vessel with no fermentation activity left

Have you done a closed loop transfer? Pressure your SV, connect posts, then use gravity to transfer from carbonation vessel to SV

Oh, I think we were talking about different things haha. I thought you meant transferring carbonated beer from a conditioning keg to a serving keg. For doing that, I would pressurize the receiving to the same pressure as the serving keg, let's say it's 12 psi, connect the liquid posts together and then apply 14 psi or so to the gas post of the conditioning keg. On the gas post of the receiving keg, I would connect a spunding valve set to 12 psi. That way the high pressure would hopefully keep some of the volatile aromatics in the beer.

As far as the initial transfer from fermenter to conditioning keg, yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to pressurize my carboy too much for the transfer, so I leave the gas post of the receiving keg open to atmosphere for that. I can maybe convince myself that the restriction across the gas post is enough that it's still better for preserving volatiles than siphoning the beer in through an open lid (and definitely better for O2 avoidance). But realistically, the flow rate of gas going out through that gas post during the transfer is so small that there is probably very little pressure drop. So effectively the keg is at atmospheric pressure. Guys that are using stainless fermenters could do the counterpressure thing for that first transfer though.

I transfer via closed loop with my Fermonster. I just set the lid at 15 psi, bleed down to 0, then pressure to 2 psi. The Fermonster seems to hold up to the pressure. Hopefully I will be getting something in stainless soon

My cheap and effective switch to stainless is to ferment in corny and serve in 3 gallons. I just bought two 3 gallon kegs, cut a dip tube and got a filter for that down stem. I have enjoyed this immensely. I can then ferment in a temp controlled mini fridge and the 3 gallons fit in so many more fridges

Hey everyone! I’d like to thank everybody for all of the research/input on trying to nail the treehouse yeast profile.
I brewed my first attempt on Sunday:
72% 2 row
23% carafoam
5% honey malt

I hopped with a small amount of galaxy at 20 min and did 2 hopstands of galaxy, Citra, and Ekuanot powder.

Galaxy and Citra went into the fermenter on day two for biotransformation.

The yeast blend was 90%s-04/8%t-58/2% wb06.

Og was 1055 and today (3 days later) it was down to a 1010. I did a partial crash to 50 degrees and am planning on kegging on Saturday with the final dry hop added to the keg.

The sample I took tonight is very reminiscent of green and I’m excited to see how it tastes finished.
Cheers!

Hey everyone! I’d like to thank everybody for all of the research/input on trying to nail the treehouse yeast profile.
I brewed my first attempt on Sunday:
72% 2 row
23% carafoam
5% honey malt

I hopped with a small amount of galaxy at 20 min and did 2 hopstands of galaxy, Citra, and Ekuanot powder.

Galaxy and Citra went into the fermenter on day two for biotransformation.

The yeast blend was 90%s-04/8%t-58/2% wb06.

Og was 1055 and today (3 days later) it was down to a 1010. I did a partial crash to 50 degrees and am planning on kegging on Saturday with the final dry hop added to the keg.

The sample I took tonight is very reminiscent of green and I’m excited to see how it tastes finished.
Cheers!

Awesome! What temp did you pitch and ferment at? What was your batch size and how many grams of yeast did you pitch?

Awesome! What temp did you pitch and ferment at? What was your batch size and how many grams of yeast did you pitch?
5 gallon batch

I pitched at 62 and slowly upped the temp to 68 over the 3 days. I pitched 10.8 gr 04, .96 gr t58, .24 gr wb06.

Also started from RO and targeted 200:100 chloride/sulfate and about 130ppm calcium. 5.6 mash ph.

Got some Green and Sap (and HOTS) yesterday and don't find their to be any hit in quality. Actually like Sap more than before (Monson, but been awhile), which is hardly pine-ish at all, very nice. I just kegged my last batch last night so don't have anything to compare at the moment but uncarbed and still too hoppy beer, but one impression I had was that Green had a slightly sweeter finish than mine. Both Sap and Green have a distinct but very subtle taste in the finish that comes off as "spices" to me, but not necessarily pepper. Green is softer than Sap, but both are very soft, with craggly heads full of very large bubbles.

My theory is that "hits to quality" are actually raised expectations and/or experience with other brewers making NEIPAs with more hop character, because that is surely happening — these beers don't fill a room with hop aroma and aren't 90% hop juice, instead more balanced, very rounded, and fine tuned.

My theory is that "hits to quality" are actually raised expectations and/or experience with other brewers making NEIPAs with more hop character, because that is surely happening — these beers don't fill a room with hop aroma and aren't 90% hop juice, instead more balanced, very rounded, and fine tuned.
Agreed.

Both Sap and Green have a distinct but very subtle taste in the finish that comes off as "spices" to me, but not necessarily pepper.

This is exactly how I feel about their core IPAs. Nondescript, pleasant "spice" that's not clove or pepper.

What do you guys mean by spice? I never experienced this in any TH beer. Maybe I just wasn't aware of it or trying to pick it out.
I don't know, it's hard to describe. It's definitely not clove. Closer to pepper but that's not a good descriptor either. It's just this slight savory character that I would use "spice" to describe just because I don't know how else to describe it. I get it in the flavor but didn't notice it in the aroma. I get it much more in Sap than in Green. Not really at all in Haze. Haven't had Julius in forever so I couldn't comment on that. Never had Alter Ego or Doppelganger.

My cheap and effective switch to stainless is to ferment in corny and serve in 3 gallons. I just bought two 3 gallon kegs, cut a dip tube and got a filter for that down stem. I have enjoyed this immensely. I can then ferment in a temp controlled mini fridge and the 3 gallons fit in so many more fridges

Would you say the 3 gallon kegs have enough head room for primary ferment plus hop additions, and then a transfer to secondary yields at least 2.5 gallons?

With due respect, I have to disagree. My friend lives in Sturbridge and also commented on the lack of flavor in Julius. It's probably just teething issues. There's not much to really look into here. Switching systems is expected to cause a problem or two.
Would you say the 3 gallon kegs have enough head room for primary ferment plus hop additions, and then a transfer to secondary yields at least 2.5 gallons?
No idea. It's probably a bit risky because if particles clog your gas exit (s) you're in some spot of trouble

This is exactly how I feel about their core IPAs. Nondescript, pleasant "spice" that's not clove or pepper.

Could that subtle ''spice'' undertone be the subdued phenols that arent present in a high enough concentration to be perceived by a human as clove or pepper?

With due respect, I have to disagree. My friend lives in Sturbridge and also commented on the lack of flavor in Julius. It's probably just teething issues. There's not much to really look into here. Switching systems is expected to cause a problem or two.
That being said, I will say that your point has merit. Many breweries are really pumping in the hops for their newer IPAs, and it doesn't always work out. There's certainly a select combination of yeast, hops, and methodology that yields a superior product. Number one complaint is harsh hop bite from poor filtering or crashing

No idea. It's probably a bit risky because if particles clog your gas exit (s) you're in some spot of trouble

So you wrote you ferment in a corny. I’m then assuming it’s a 5 gallon one and then transfer to the 3 gallon one?

This has been my move for the past 4 batches. I usually spund after 2 days of blowoff bubbles and dry hop shortly after. I trimmed the liquid out diptube to match the gas in diptube and slide on a clear beer draught system float after cold crashing (CO2 flows out with the lid removed at 2-4psi anytime the keg is open, and receives 10-15psi during a cold crash). Spunding during fermentation along with a pressurized cold crash can carbonate beer before its transferred to the serving keg. I use the gas i save to obsessively purge post dry hop and when i transfer to the serving keg.

Could that subtle ''spice'' undertone be the subdued phenols that arent present in a high enough concentration to be perceived by a human as clove or pepper?

After having another Sap last night, and really letting it warm up for awhile, I guess I could say that "spice" does actually become kind of peppery which makes the little T-58 bell go off in my head. I don't get the WB-06 thing really at all. When I did T-58 starters what I got was a lot of orange (remarkably orange actually and tiny bit of banana) initially that transitioned into something more peppery with just a bit of orangey-ness.

I'm still slightly open to the idea that this isn't the yeast, but more a signature hop/ingredient profile, (like they use X,Y, and Z hops/mystery addition in just about every beer be it listed or unlisted).

Also this is Sap, and Chinook is spicy (but in a different way)

Anyway, makes me want to bump T-58 up some.

That being said, I will say that your point has merit. Many breweries are really pumping in the hops for their newer IPAs, and it doesn't always work out. There's certainly a select combination of yeast, hops, and methodology that yields a superior product. Number one complaint is harsh hop bite from poor filtering or crashing

Here's an example. I had a tremendous beer from Equilibrium x The Answer called Can It Be All So Simple. Blew me away. TONS of hop character and comically hazy. A lot of people are making beers like this now, maybe not as good, but as potent. You really don't want to go from that beer to a Green, but when you go from Green to that beer you're impressed by the sheer amount of hop juice in it but also aware of the lack of balance/beer on steroids nature of it.

Basically, Tree House will be like the Sierra Nevada of NEIPA in a few years.

This is kind of my hypothesis, yeah. Actually, when I first discovered this thread I had had a Sap pretty recently, and when the yeast blend was narrowed down to include yeasts known for their ability to produce phenols I remember thinking, huh, that makes a lot of sense.

After having another Sap last night, and really letting it warm up for awhile, I guess I could say that "spice" does actually become kind of peppery which makes the little T-58 bell go off in my head. I don't get the WB-06 thing really at all. When I did T-58 starters what I got was a lot of orange (remarkably orange actually and tiny bit of banana) initially that transitioned into something more peppery with just a bit of orangey-ness.

I'm still slightly open to the idea that this isn't the yeast, but more a signature hop/ingredient profile, (like they use X,Y, and Z hops/mystery addition in just about every beer be it listed or unlisted).

You know it's funny, my first attempt at this became super orange-y after a while in the keg, and I experienced a similar character on my recent attempt at kegging time.

Also, I remember the first time I ever had a Julius, I remember thinking wow, this has more of an orange/tangerine thing going than any IPA I've ever had. That's the only thing I remember about it because it really stood out to me. That was back in the Monson days.

This has been my move for the past 4 batches. I usually spund after 2 days of blowoff bubbles and dry hop shortly after. I trimmed the liquid out diptube to match the gas in diptube and slide on a clear beer draught system float after cold crashing (CO2 flows out with the lid removed at 2-4psi anytime the keg is open, and receives 10-15psi during a cold crash). Spunding during fermentation along with a pressurized cold crash can carbonate beer before its transferred to the serving keg. I use the gas i save to obsessively purge post dry hop and when i transfer to the serving keg.
if you daisy chain your serving keg to your fermenter, you can use the constant CO2 output to purge the serving vessel

Green tonight. After drinking half, let other half get warm to near room temp, lots of pepper. Confirmation bias I don't know, but man just like the T-58 starter as I remember it, which was of course — also at room temp.

Ok, here's my full report on my latest attempt, I'll try to include everything.

5 gal batch, 6 gal into primary
O.G. 1.072
F.G. 1.020 at packaging

Grist/Mash:
73% TF&S Golden Promise
12% Weyermann Carafoam
9% Avangard Munich Light
6% Briess C10

Rising temp mash - mash in at 152F, raise to 159F over 1 hour. Measured mash pH 5.79, cooled sample, raw measurement (this is the convention i always use for reporting pH). Decoction mash out to 176F.

Hops:
No bittering. In fact, no boil hops at all.
15 min flameout hop stand with 4 oz Mosaic and 4 oz Citra.
DH1: 2 oz Mosaic, 2 oz Citra, 2 oz El Dorado
DH2: 2 oz Mosaic

Yeast:
15 g S-04, 0.5 g WB-06, 1.0 g T-58. (91/3/6%). This comes out to about 72 g/hL, which is towards the top end of the Fermentis recommendation of 50-80 g/hL. I pitched that higher amount because of my somewhat higher O.G. but probably didn't need to.

Water:
Ca: 55 mg/L
Mg: 8 mg/L
Na: 5 mg/L
Cl: 201 mg/L
SO4: 96 mg/L
HCO3: 96 mg/L
K: 211 mg/L

Started from 100% local water and added gypsum and KCl to hit that. No acid additions.

Temp/schedule:
Pitched at 62F and started at a controlled 63F ambient. Added DH1 at 48 hours and raised ambient to 67F at that point. Added DH2 48 hours after that. Packaged on day 8.

Packaging:
Chose to bottle this one instead of kegging due holiday travel requirements. Primed with 28 oz gyle from this same batch, essentially vacuum canned on brew day. Also used 2 g of CBC-1. CO2 transferred from primary carboy to a purged keg and used CO2 to push to my bottle wand. Packaging was 14 days ago today.

Notes/lessons learned:
So first and foremost, there is no clove. Huzzah! Aroma is actually primarily dank/resinous/marijuana-like with supporting tropical fruit and some citrus. As it warms up I get more of the orange/tangerine thing. Flavor is dank and orange-y, with some of that subtle spice coming through as it warms, like Sap. Bitterness is high, likely because of the high bicarbonate/pH, despite the hop-stand-only kettle strategy. It is slightly sweeter and less tart than my last attempt, which is a step in the right direction IMO.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this batch. It's a lot better than my first attempt. Next time I will make the following changes:
1) up the T-58 to 10% ish, maybe a little more.
2) maybe up the pitch temp slightly, still in the 60s though.
3) Decrease the Munich slightly and maybe replace some of the GP with 2 row or pils
4) adjust the mash pH to the low 5s and maybe acidify my sparge water as well.

20171224_120420.jpg

20171224_120539.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, here's my full report on my latest attempt, I'll try to include everything.

5 gal batch, 6 gal into primary
O.G. 1.072
F.G. 1.020 at packaging

Grist/Mash:
73% TF&S Golden Promise
12% Weyermann Carafoam
9% Avangard Munich Light
6% Briess C10

Rising temp mash - mash in at 152F, raise to 159F over 1 hour. Measured mash pH 5.79, cooled sample, raw measurement (this is the convention i always use for reporting pH). Decoction mash out to 176F.

Hops:
No bittering. In fact, no boil hops at all
15 min flameout hop stand with 4 oz Mosaic and 4 oz Citra.
DH1: 2 oz Mosaic, 2 oz Citra, 2 oz El Dorado
DH2: 2 oz Mosaic

Yeast:
15 g S-04, 0.5 g WB-06, 1.0 g T-58. (91/3/6%). This comes out to about 72 g/hL, which is towards the top end of the Fermentis recommendation of 50-80 g/hL. I wanted to go higher because of my somewhat higher O.G. but probably didn't need to.

Water:
Ca: 55 mg/L
Mg: 8 mg/L
Na: 5 mg/L
Cl: 201 mg/L
HCO3: mg/L
K: 211 mg/L

Started from 100% local water and added gypsum and KCl to hit that. No acid additions.

Temp/schedule:
Pitched at 62F and started at a controlled 63F ambient. Added DH1 at 48 hours and raised ambient to 67F at that point. Added DH2 48 hours after that. Packaged on day 8.

Packaging:
Chose to bottle this one instead of kegging due holiday travel requirements. Primed with 28 oz gyle from this same batch, essentially vacuum canned on brew day. Also used 2 g of CBC-1. CO2 transferred from primary carboy to a purged keg and used CO2 to push to my bottle wand. Packaging was 14 days ago today.

Notes/lessons learned:
So first and foremost, there is no clove. Huzzah! Aroma is actually primarily dank/resinous/marijuana-like with supporting tropical fruit and some citrus. As is warms up I get more of the orange/tangerine thing. Flavor is dank and orange-y, with some of that subtle spice coming through as it warms, like Sap. Bitterness is high, likely because of the high bicarbonate/pH, despite the hop-stand-only kettle strategy. It is slightly sweeter and less tart than my last attempt, which is a step in the right direction IMO.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this batch. It's a lot better than my first attempt. Next time I will make the following changes:
1) up the T-58 to 10% ish, maybe a little more.
2) maybe up the pitch temp slightly, still in the 60s though.
3) Decrease the Munich slightly and maybe replace some of the GP with 2 row or pils
4) adjust the mash pH to the low 5s and maybe acidify my sparge water as well.

View attachment 550967

View attachment 550968

Very nice. How was the ... mouthfeelz?

Very nice. How was the ... mouthfeelz?
Pretty thick and full bodied. I'm not sure I would describe it as fluffy. I might have to have comment on that again when I have another one later.

I'll probably make it to Tree House on Wedensday with some luck. Hopefully they'll have something canned that day that i can compare directly to. I feel like Alter Ego would be ideal to compare this batch to.

Last edited:
Second attempt with this yeast blend and I'm really beginning to like it. The flavor and mouthfeel is excellent despite this being the least amount of hops I've used in this style. Still not TH level mouthfeel but spelt didnt kick off any unwanted flavors!

6.5 Gal Batch OG 1.063 FG 1.009 Mash 154 F pH 5.2 Full Volume BIAB
80% Rahr 2-row
9.2% Weyermann Malted Spelt
6.2% Carafoam
4.6% Dingemans Aromatic

89.4 IBUS
45 min - 1 oz Simcoe
10 min - 1.5 oz Columbus, 1 oz Citra
5 min - 1.5 oz Columbus, 1 oz Citra

48 hr dry hop 2 oz citra, 1 oz amarillo
Day 10 keg hop 2 oz citra, 1 oz amarillo

88% SO4 8% T58 3% WB06/ 12.2 g total
Pitched 68 F and primary at 62 F for 4 days, ramped to 68 F for remainder

Water: Ca 11 | Mg 0 | Na 8 | SO4 26 | Cl 140 | K 150 / 12 g KCl, 1.5 g CaSO4, 4 g Citric Acid, 4.5 mL Lactic Acid

Overall, the aroma and flavor is excellent. The finish is smooth and soft, but it really falls short in the full/fluffy-ness and is too dry. I like the aromatic malt, but it's not doing much for the body or sweetness. As I've backed off on the dry hop the beers have become less hazy. I like the balance of kettle and dry hop flavors but cant get a haze that's full and lasting.

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_142808_425.jpg
    IMG_20171224_142808_425.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20171219_180633.jpg
    IMG_20171219_180633.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 157
Second attempt with this yeast blend and I'm really beginning to like it. The flavor and mouthfeel is excellent despite this being the least amount of hops I've used in this style. Still not TH level mouthfeel but spelt didnt kick off any unwanted flavors!

6.5 Gal Batch OG 1.063 FG 1.009 Mash 154 F pH 5.2 Full Volume BIAB
80% Rahr 2-row
9.2% Weyermann Malted Spelt
6.2% Carafoam
4.6% Dingemans Aromatic

89.4 IBUS
45 min - 1 oz Simcoe
10 min - 1.5 oz Columbus, 1 oz Citra
5 min - 1.5 oz Columbus, 1 oz Citra

48 hr dry hop 2 oz citra, 1 oz amarillo
Day 10 keg hop 2 oz citra, 1 oz amarillo

88% SO4 8% T58 3% WB06/ 12.2 g total
Pitched 68 F and primary at 62 F for 4 days, ramped to 68 F for remainder

Water: Ca 11 | Mg 0 | Na 8 | SO4 26 | Cl 140 | K 150 / 12 g KCl, 1.5 g CaSO4, 4 g Citric Acid, 4.5 mL Lactic Acid

Overall, the aroma and flavor is excellent. The finish is smooth and soft, but it really falls short in the full/fluffy-ness and is too dry. I like the aromatic malt, but it's not doing much for the body or sweetness. As I've backed off on the dry hop the beers have become less hazy. I like the balance of kettle and dry hop flavors but cant get a haze that's full and lasting.

Looks, sounds very nice.

Great thread, took me two days to read through the whole thing. I have only ever brewed a NEIPA with 1318 so I do not have much to contribute to this thread. Hopefully that will change.

I will note that a few tidbits of info Nate has shared over Twitter the last few days were that he only uses corn sugar in bright and that he uses kettle finings in his beers. I didn’t see this mentioned so I thought it was worth just adding.

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/945132899828936704

Last edited:
Great thread, took me two days to read through the whole thing. I have only ever brewed a NEIPA with 1318 so I do not have much to contribute to this thread. Hopefully that will change.

I will note that a few tidbits of info Nate has shared over Twitter the last few days were that he only uses corn sugar in bright and that he uses kettle finings in his beers. I didn’t see this mentioned so I thought it was worth just adding.
That hurts my brain when thinking about carbonation, but — I think we can definitely rule out sugar in the mash.

Also, I failed to mention that I live about 10 minutes away from the brewery so I frequent there often. I stopped by today for some fresh doppelgänger and took some time to observe the brewing. It looked to me like they were adding dextrose monohydrate to the kettle. I watched them add two bags to the kettle which they are leaning against.

Now we have no idea which beer this is and I am no expert on this faciity or which kettle is which here but just reporting my observations whether the help or not I don’t know. Also added within 10 minutes was the two quart cans (hop extract?) and the content of Tupperware container. Here is a picture for reference.

Attachments

• DA9C3DFD-A761-4693-87C8-7124F1805790.jpeg
    DA9C3DFD-A761-4693-87C8-7124F1805790.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 272
Added within 10 minutes of the dextrose? I would assume yeast nutrient or some finings of some sort. Interesting that they’re adding extract in what seems to be end of boil. I’m sure they can get extract of any variety they use and I know in really large systems the yield increase in extract vs. pellets can be substantial.

Back