Is three months too long to age a wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eel_Eye

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm brewing much of the beer for my wedding reception (a little over three months away), and am trying to come up with a rough schedule for the lower alcohol beer. I have a tripel in primary that needs to be racked, and I was considering using the yeast cake from that to make a wit with some ginger overtones. My only hesitation is that some of the wit's presence will diminish by the time of the wedding.

Anyway, to sum it up is three months from brewing until serving a bit too much for a wit? Should I look at doing something along the lines of a saison or pale ale this weekend and coming back to the wit in a few weeks?

Waaaaay too long for a wit, in my humble opinion. It's going to taste bland after three months.

The most I give wits before kegging is 2 weeks.

You could harvest the yeast and use it closer to time. A little more work, but not too much.

A trippel yeast cake for a wit is kind of reverse order...you typically start with a smaller, less flavorful beer, to build up to a big/robust beer.

Back