Is this wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Popp

Reaction score
I crushed a gallon of pears and pitched some cider yeast 2wks ago in a glass carboy, it fermented very well, I decided to place it in a secondary FV as there was a lot of lees. After racking there was only about 2/3 gallon of cider and it was pretty bland as I think the pears I used were pretty low in sugar (sorry didn’t take a hydro reading).

So in a addition to my racked cider, I decided to fill my secondary to the top with new sanitized pear juice. Slow fermentation has started to kick off again. Everything looks ok and healthy.

But I wondered if anyone has done this? I guess I’m just trying to get a bit more alcohol and perhaps flavour by fermenting some more juice.

What do you think?

Adding pear juice added more sugar to the cider. It has to re-ferment all over again.

Pears do not have that much flavor. That's why they use a lot of it for Fruit Cocktail syrup.

How much alcohol you get depends on the yeast.

I crushed a gallon of pears and pitched some cider yeast 2wks ago in a glass carboy, it fermented very well, I decided to place it in a secondary FV as there was a lot of lees. After racking there was only about 2/3 gallon of cider and it was pretty bland as I think the pears I used were pretty low in sugar (sorry didn’t take a hydro reading).

So in a addition to my racked cider, I decided to fill my secondary to the top with new sanitized pear juice. Slow fermentation has started to kick off again. Everything looks ok and healthy.

But I wondered if anyone has done this? I guess I’m just trying to get a bit more alcohol and perhaps flavour by fermenting some more juice.

What do you think?

Adding more juice of similar SG, assuming it’s the same as you originally fermented, won’t increase you alcohol level. You’ll just end up with more quantity of the same alcohol level.

If it has little or no flavor this time around and you don’t like it you could add a little fruit juice like cranberry or pomegranate.

I sampled some cranberry-pear cider at the local HBS and it was awesome.

I also agree that pear is not perhaps the most flavor rich fruit and certainly store bought pears tend to be at the lower end of flavor but I think that perry (a cider made from pears) or a combination of pear and for example, cranberry can be delightful. In Britain apple-pear blends to make a cider have a long history

Thank you all so much for your input. I’m going to stick to just pear as it’s my first one and I guess I’ll use it as a basis for future pear cider and decide how I want to improve the taste from here on.

So I’m wondering how a good cider company would make a pear cider that is sweet, sparkling and has a good taste of pears without using flavour enhancers or other fruits? [emoji848]

Thank you all so much for your input. I’m going to stick to just pear as it’s my first one and I guess I’ll use it as a basis for future pear cider and decide how I want to improve the taste from here on.

So I’m wondering how a good cider company would make a pear cider that is sweet, sparkling and has a good taste of pears without using flavour enhancers or other fruits? [emoji848]

Now you can start experimenting with one-gallon batches. Have fun!

Cold, slow fermentation and cold crash before dry. Then cold filter or stabilize before force carbonation.

Back