Is this wort worth saving?......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummeruss

Reaction score
Hello all. So I started my first attempt at a pumpkin ale, 3 gallon batch. When it came time to add the cinnamon, I realized (after the fact) that I added an extra ounce of cinnamon, 2.2 total instead of one. Anyhow, 5 days out, SpGr went from 1.043 to 1.013. Actually, you can taste the cinnamon for sure but honestly it's not as overbearing as I thought it was going to be. Quite bitter currently. In rescanning the recipe, it was actually my fault, I misread it completely and added the extra ounce of cinnamon. So.....a bit extra cinnamon (oh,and extra nutmeg also), still worth adding the pumpkin to secondary and going all in for it? I guess the worst that could happen is I pitch it afterwards and try again.

I'm a newbie, this is only my second BIAB batch, the first is still conditioning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and I hope you all have a safe and blessed holiday season.

Regards,

Russell

I think at only 2x you'll be ok. Spices fade fast.
This summer I made a Saison with Black Pepper. Added too much of it and the wort came out really HOT. So hot that I was thinking of dumping it.
Now, barely a trace of any pepper.

Cinnamon is a faint spice. I haven't brewed with it but in my non-beery concoctions it dissipated much sooner than I was expecting.
Nutmeg is much long-lasting, though.

The spices will fade a bit, and the bitterness will fade a lot.

I made a 2.5-gallon batch with 12 g of cinnamon in a "spice stand": 10 minutes @ 170 F while cooling down from the boil. It is definitely noticeable, though not overpowering. 2.2 ounces seems like an awful lot, but if you put it in the boil, it probably lost a lot of flavor/aroma volatiles.

I'm guessing your general audience for pumpkin beer is tolerant of moderate over-spicing.

Yes thank you all for your time. I did go ahead and added the pumpkin yesterday (secondary), so we'll see how it turns out.....

Thank you again, I do appreciate the input.

Russell

Update: tested the wort last week, secondary fermentation with the pumpkin in it, SpGr was 1.015, and it really didn't taste too bad. Today though, SpGr down to 1.011 (still a little above target 1.008), but the wort had sort of a very strong burnt plastic odor, and there was a bit of scum on the surface which I took to being some flocculated yeast. But the taste of the wort was quite astringent, again sort of like burnt plastic. I'm pretty good with sanitizing, wearing gloves that are sprayed, etc, but something probably got in there. At that point I didn't think it was worth carrying on and I pitched it down the drain. So back to the drawing board and try again.

Back