Is this wild yeast or bacteria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gentlemans_Ale

Reaction score
I need an expert to help me identify these colonies as wild yeast or bacteria. This is an attempt to isolate wild yeast from plants in my garden. Besides the mold contaminants, there are clusters of round, pinkish-white colonies. I suspect bacteria but hopeful I isolated some wild yeast. Any microbiologists out there? I don’t have access to a microscope.
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG

Sometimes Serratia marcesens looks pink. Also quite common in the soil, but something you don't want to intentionally deal with.

What did you streak onto the plate?

Try mixing some whatever into some wort and incubate for a few days. If it ferments, then you have yeast. Streak a sample of liquid at that point.

Hope this helps

What did you streak onto the plate?

Try mixing some whatever into some wort and incubate for a few days. If it ferments, then you have yeast. Streak a sample of liquid at that point.

Hope this helps

I just streaked directly from plant leaves to plate using a sterile swab. Thanks for the tips, helps very much!

If you want to isolate wild yeast I would suggest culturing anaerobically. That way you will screen out a lot of unwanted bacteria and molds as well. It will just take a few more days to get a result as anaerobic growth is obviously slower.

Back