Is this too much Lactose for a Baltic Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I've never actually had a Baltic Porter with Lactose, but thats why I want to try this. Is 1 lb of Lactose too much? Is there anything else I can do with this recipe?

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
6.25 lb Light Dry Extract
2.00 lb Munich Malt
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Special B Malt
1.00 oz Millenium
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose)
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.86 %
Bitterness: 44.9 IBU
Est Color: 28.6 SRM

1 lb of lactose is a lot -- i brewed a milk chocolate stout a while back with a pound of lactose -- the FG never got below 1.028 and it wasn't stuck. I would use half a pound.

I would wait for fermentation to complete and take a reading... THEN add lactose. Each 1/2# should add approximately 3 points in a 5 gallon batch.

I wouldn't want a 1.028 FG milk stout either. But if my fermentation ended at 1.010, adding 1 lbs of lactose would leave me at 1.016. BA guidelines put FG between 1.012 and 1.020

1lb of lactose is pretty much "the standard" for a sweet stout. I agree with Grizzlybrew, though. If you're unsure, then you can always add the lactose post-fermentation or at bottling. Remember that you can always add, but you can never take away. Just add a bit of water to it, boil for a few minutes, cool, and pour it into your fermenter or bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back