Is this the worst beer ever sold???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Totally bored at work. Decided to peruse RateBeer and stumbled onto the worst beer in the world - top 50 list. Who knew? So most of the highest (lowest) beers on the list were your expected American light lagers just getting bashed by craft beer drinkers. Natty Light was number one, but clearly, while not good, if I'm at a non craft beer drinkers home and he serves me one with a burger, I'm going to drink it. It's not the worst beer in the world.

So I start wondering, which one really is? I worked my way down the list, and read a few reviews of some beers I didn't recognize. More light lagers and malt liquors. Finally - Bingo! Check out Number 25 in the list.

So I start reading the reviews and the 1.0 rating is one of the first. Glad I wasn't drinking or I would have spit it out laughing all over my keybord! I thought, no way. Nothing could be that bad. Must have gotten a bad bottle. So I kept reading. Each of these are quite representative of all the reviews. Not one review could say anything remotely good about this beer. Until we get to the last one. My favorite. I swear this guy really wants to say something nice. But it just won't come out. Unless you think somehow that poopy diaper and bandaid are desireable characteristics in your beer. This rating and another at 2.3 were by far the highest ratings this beer got. Unreal that any brewer would actually put this in a bottle and sell it to unsuspecting beer drinkers.

worst beer list.JPG

Dark Horse Overview.JPG

Dark Horse 1_0.JPG

Dark Horse 0_5.JPG

Dark Horse Really bad.JPG

Dark Horse 2_2.JPG

Makes you wonder if they achieved what they were going for, or if something went horribly horribly wrong and Dark Horse (who usually makes good beers) decided "f**k it, we can't take a loss on this batch."

I will say the worst beer I have ever had the displeasure of tasting was not a basic BMC beer, but rather Swamp Ape Imperial IPA. It was in an incredibly expensive 4 pack, and I didn't have my phone on me to do any research while I was at the grocery store. They should've named it Swamp Ass. Floccing horrible. If you want to try the worst beer ever go find a bottle of it.

Makes you wonder if they achieved what they were going for, or if something went horribly horribly wrong and Dark Horse (who usually makes good beers) decided "f**k it, we can't take a loss on this batch."

Oh wow! I never thought to check and see if they made any beers that were good. I just assumed they were a bad brewery. Just checked and looks like a lot of what they brew rates in the 80s and 90s. Very Surprised!

Coors Light and Mountain Crest are way way WAY worse than Busch. Even so, I've had dozens of beers even worse than Mountain Crest and Coors Light. Yes, often times poopy diaper and band-aids come to mind.

The Dark Horse Lambic? I haven't tasted it, but being from such a reputable brewer, I really have to wonder if it could possibly be that bad. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Lambics aren't for everyone.

I actually like Busch...Its my go to summer boat beer...Corona?..now that's a big fat Zero in my book. Made it through half a bottle last Saturday at a buds house and poured the rest down the drain.

Coors Light and Mountain Crest are way way WAY worse than Busch. Even so, I've had dozens of beers even worse than Mountain Crest and Coors Light. Yes, often times poopy diaper and band-aids come to mind.

The Dark Horse Lambic? I haven't tasted it, but being from such a reputable brewer, I really have to wonder if it could possibly be that bad. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Lambics aren't for everyone.

I actually like Busch...Its my go to summer boat beer...Corona?..now that's a big fat Zero in my book. Made it through half a bottle last Saturday at a buds house and poured the rest down the drain.

Corona's not so bad if you get it from a can or keg, not a clear bottle.

Guys. Can we not have this devolve into a thread bashing or promoting your favorite macro. Yes, most of us don't care for them, but they are drinkable and millions of people like them. I'm talking here about disgustingly undrinkable garbage juice that no one who knows better would find enjoyable.

I think you misunderstand.... I honestly believe that Mountain Crest fits your self-defined category of "disgustingly undrinkable garbage juice". I couldn't give two poops about Corona one way or the other, it's less than average but not garbage juice unless served from a clear bottle. That's not the beer's fault in itself but rather the manner in which it was packaged -- any beer in a clear or green bottle besides the high-tech MGD treatment is very likely to be lightstruck/skunked, which is an unfortunate truth.

I think you misunderstand.... I honestly believe that Mountain Crest fits your self-defined category of "disgustingly undrinkable garbage juice". I couldn't give two poops about Corona one way or the other, it's less than average but not garbage juice unless served from a clear bottle. That's not the beer's fault in itself but rather the manner in which it was packaged -- any beer in a clear or green bottle besides the high-tech MGD treatment is very likely to be lightstruck/skunked, which is an unfortunate truth.

No worries. I've never heard of mountain crest so no idea what it tastes like. Feel free to expound. I'm just trying to discourage the which is worse - Busch - Coors - Miller - Corona - Bud conversation. We all know what the macros and other light American lagers taste like so no sense wasting time on that.

Oh wow! I never thought to check and see if they made any beers that were good. I just assumed they were a bad brewery. Just checked and looks like a lot of what they brew rates in the 80s and 90s. Very Surprised!

I live in MI so admittedly I am biased but I assure you Dark Horse is a great brewery. I would strongly encourage you to try to score Scotty Karate Scotch Ale or Crooked Tree IPA ... Very good indeed. Ranked 5th best brewery in Michigan after Founders and Bells....give them a try :mug::mug:

I live in MI so admittedly I am biased but I assure you Dark Horse is a great brewery. I would strongly encourage you to try to score Scotty Karate Scotch Ale or Crooked Tree IPA ... Very good indeed. Ranked 5th best brewery in Michigan after Founders and Bells....give them a try :mug::mug:

Well Moose, next time you're in Texas you'll have to bring me some and I'll treat you to some of the best that Texas has to offer! Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever been to MI, much as I've heard that most of it is very nice. Hope to do some travelling when I retire and the eastern coast of Lake Michigan, as well as the UP are on my list. Obviously, in the summer!

That's awesome.

I love how the last reviewer literally says, "poopy diaper, but not too bad." Not too bad!!?? ��

Still, one of the worst commercial beers I've had was Allagash White. I know, I know, I'm pretty sure it was a bad batch or something, but no joke, it tasted like hot dog water. Absolutely awful.

I had a really bad Goose Island beer called Dunkel Buck at their brewpub. It was listed as a dunkelweizen, but something was really off about it. It smelled like a musty basement full of dirty socks, tasted weird too. I checked Untappd and the other reviews were middling, but nothing like what I picked up.

I don't know if my palate was fried from the other stuff I was drinking, or if something was wrong with the batch. Either way, I'm glad it was only a flight pour.

SHIPYARD (insert anything here)head. Melonhead being the worst of the bunch.

They're all candy sweet, diacetyl-bombs. The melon head tastes like you took bud and dropped a couple bags of jolly ranchers into the keg. Same with applehead. Pumpkin and gingerbread aren't AS bad, but they're aggressively sweet and buttery

Well Moose, next time you're in Texas you'll have to bring me some and I'll treat you to some of the best that Texas has to offer! Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever been to MI, much as I've heard that most of it is very nice. Hope to do some travelling when I retire and the eastern coast of Lake Michigan, as well as the UP are on my list. Obviously, in the summer!

It would be my pleasure. Its been several years since I visited the great state of Texas but ya never know! When you do get to MI I would strongly encourage that trip up the west side of the state. A tour up the "sunset coast" will not disappoint you and you are always welcome at casa de moose!

I guess you guys don't have the pleasure of Minhas Creek. The worst beer while drinking, and the day after a joy to sit on the pot whilst your insides fall out. Supposedly it is the bottom 1/3 of the batches made by Old Mil that they used to toss, and canned as their own.

SHIPYARD (insert anything here)head. Melonhead being the worst of the bunch.

They're all candy sweet, diacetyl-bombs. The melon head tastes like you took bud and dropped a couple bags of jolly ranchers into the keg. Same with applehead. Pumpkin and gingerbread aren't AS bad, but they're aggressively sweet and buttery

Every beer they make is a D bomb...and I actually almost got a job there years ago...

High on my list for most overpriced garbage is this guy

25z0cbk.jpg

I'm hoping we just got a crappy mishandled keg all the way out here in CO but good god it was terrible, like the booziest CTZ ipa you've ever had. At $10 a pint

My worst was a Flying Dog beer they made this year called Naughty. I normally like Flying Dog, but this one I couldn't drink. It was a Belgian Dark Strong brewed with spices and habeneros. I missed it on the label where it said habeneros were in it.

For the op, that 2.3 review is hilarious. Trying to twist dirty diaper into a positive!

Every beer they make is a D bomb...and I actually almost got a job there years ago

God everyone just loves their "craft" beer though. The only beer I enjoy is their summer, but only in a bottle, ice cold, out of someone else's cooler. Then again I haven't given much of their beers a shot.

My worst was a Flying Dog beer they made this year called Naughty. I normally like Flying Dog, but this one I couldn't drink. It was a Belgian Dark Strong brewed with spices and habeneros. I missed it on the label where it said habeneros were in it.

Do you think it would have been better if you were expecting it? Everything else they make is pretty good I feel

The worst beer I can remember having was Midnight Ale from a semi local brewery. I really wanted to like this new brewery but this beer was so bad I never tried another (I'm pretty sure the bottle I had was infected with wild yeast, it might have been decent before the yeast took over): http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29509/83381/

For common commercial stuff, I think the worst I've had was Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic.

I've never had a Dark Horse brew, but I did watch a few episodes of their TV show. Did anyone else watch this?

I've never had a Dark Horse brew, but I did watch a few episodes of their TV show. Did anyone else watch this?

No, but I would like to. What's it titled?
Beer TV+ homebrew makes a beer TV sandwich
Love me some Brew Dogs and totally stoked they are invading the US with their beer.

At the local Spring Beer and Wine fest a couple years ago I had some beet beer and it was like drinking dirt. Thank goodness it was just a sample size.

At the local Spring Beer and Wine fest a couple years ago I had some beet beer and it was like drinking dirt. Thank goodness it was just a sample size.

This actually sounds worth trying to me, but then again I love fuggles and beets.

The worst beer I've ever had was this stuff called "mead"...

But srsly, folks...the worst not-a-bad-batch not-a-style-I-dislike non-BMC-or-cheap-drunk beer I've ever drank has been Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. I don't dislike American wheat beers, I don't dislike fruited beers / radlers / shandy, but I do dislike a beer that intentionally tastes like a handful of tylenol was ground up and dissolved into my glass of otherwise unremarkable beer.

The worst beer I've ever had was this stuff called "mead"...

But srsly, folks...the worst not-a-bad-batch not-a-style-I-dislike non-BMC-or-cheap-drunk beer I've ever drank has been Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. I don't dislike American wheat beers, I don't dislike fruited beers / radlers / shandy, but I do dislike a beer that intentionally tastes like a handful of tylenol was ground up and dissolved into my glass of otherwise unremarkable beer.

Thanks blizz! I think you've laid out some good ground rules. To be the worst commercial beer ever sold, it should not be from a style that you dislike, or a bad batch of an otherwise good beer.

One of my all time favorite beers is Green Flash Hop Head Red. However, I once bought a four pack where every bottle was a drain pour. I probably should have contacted Green Flash, as I imagine they would have liked to know, so they cound determine if it was a brewery or a distribution issue. Probably would have sent me a gift certificate or some swag or something too. Also, when I was in the midwest a couple months ago, I bought a bad sixer of Two Hearted Ale. The first one I opened was a drain pour. Second one was a little better and I managed to get most of it down. But when the third was also a drain pour, I took the rest back to the retailer, who gave me a full refund. Clearly both of these beers were among the worst I have ever drank, but I wouldn't judge the entire output of these beers, or post a review online based on two bad examples, when I've have many more of the same beers that were excellent.

Back