Is this the best 2 keg starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I already have a small fridge like you see in a dorm room. I am looking to begin kegging my beer. I found this on midwest supplies.

Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System- with Reconditioned CO2 Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Now I dont know much (anything) about kegging but this system looks pretty decent for the price. The only thing im noticing that it doesnt have is faucets. It comes with picnic taps.

I found this kit with the faucets and its a little bit more but this looks like it may be all I need to set up a nice 2 faucet tap system.

Homebrew Deluxe - 2 Tap System :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Do you think I am better off buying the first cheaper kit and getting my own faucets or going with the second kit that comes with everything.

What else should I be looking for as far as a kit?

I personally had good luck with midwest's kit. There was just a thread about this except the person was looking for it to be around $200

Here is what people recommended

You could just get the first kit, then their large refrigerator conversion kit is about 35 bucks a per faucet/ shank. At that price I'd say place a second order with Williams brewing and get some perlicks. For about the same price as the second kit you'd end up with two forward sealing taps, no drip tray, and you'd have picnic taps in case you decide to bring your kegs on the road

Edit: after a second look, the first kit you posted gets you two regulators AND high pressure gas line, while it appears the second does not. I'd say at what they charge for the conversion kit, if you're willing to pay a little extra money, do it right the first time, get the first kit you posted then go buy the forward sealing taps, I sure wish I had!

Edit: after a second look, the first kit you posted gets you two regulators AND high pressure gas line, while it appears the second does not. I'd say at what they charge for the conversion kit, if you're willing to pay a little extra money, do it right the first time, get the first kit you posted then go buy the forward sealing taps, I sure wish I had!

When you say two regulators this means I can have different pressures going to each keg? What is the benefit of having the high pressure gas line?

When you say two regulators this means I can have different pressures going to each keg? What is the benefit of having the high pressure gas line?

Yep, if you look at your first choice, the regulator coming off the CO2 tank has three gauges. The far left one is the internal gauge, the two on top are independent and measure the pressure of each valve. While not required, you will never say "damn, I wish I only had a single pressure regulator".

I'm not sure about the high-pressure gas, mine look like your fist kit and are both clear (I think the red is high-pressure) but I've not had any issues.

I agree, get the first kit and buy perlicks at a later time. If I knew then what I know now that's exactly what I would do. :mug:

So the quick and dirty reasons I have read about getting perlicks are better sealing/opening than the cheaper taps

Is there anything else I need to buy to make a good kegging setup? This may be a tax refund purchase :)

So the quick and dirty reasons I have read about getting perlicks are better sealing/opening than the cheaper taps

Is there anything else I need to buy to make a good kegging setup? This may be a tax refund purchase :)

Better sealing for sure, plus the taps dont get stuck if you dont use them for several days (hard to imagine I know, but I just got back from a vacation and nearly snapped the faucet off trying to get it open)

Other than that, you're all set! The first set up can tide you over with the picnic taps until you can get the perlicks/shanks if you cannot get them all at once. If you can afford them all, I'd say go for it!! You'll be glad you did.

There is also a new type of Perlick coming out, I don't have the link readily available but it might be worth it to wait to get the latest and greatest.

Start with the first kit you posted, you can easily expand it from there. That's the kit I have, and it works well. Plus, you can't beat two different serving pressures.....(ok, maybe if you had 3!) but you get my point, it's handy to be able to carb one keg while serving the other.

+1 on the first kit. Like everyone else said, you'd be better off getting the kit with the dual regulators and buying the faucets/shanks separately.

I'd be very interested in that if you manage to come up with the link.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - New Perlick SS Forward Seal Faucets has
some discussion, including a quick review and a note from the
manufacturer.

That thread has a link to another one that links to a PDF hosted by
one of those free file hosts where you have to jump through several
hoops to get to it. It turns out to be a 2-page brochure with
pictures. I converted it to a couple scaled-down jpgs (to save
bandwidth) and threw it on my site:

Some closeups of text and the cutaway diagram:
http://www.sumnerhayes.com/static/brewing/perlickperl-1.closeup.jpg
http://www.sumnerhayes.com/static/brewing/perlickperl-2.closeup.jpg

Full pages:
http://www.sumnerhayes.com/static/brewing/perlickperl-1.jpg
http://www.sumnerhayes.com/static/brewing/perlickperl-2.jpg

Thanks guys I will probably end up getting that first setup and ordering the perlicks after.

I just got the midwest kit you linked. Ive been really happy with the quality. I havent had a chance to keg in it yet, but im working on it. LOL The only bummer i saw was that i got a firestone keg, and although i dont think they are bad, they seem to be harder to find parts and what not for. Thats ok though i just picked up another 3 kegs locally for a good price too so no worries.

Here is what I deciced to do..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/best-beginner-kegging-system-around-200-a-104099/

I could not be happier... I will have to upgrade to better taps later but I think I have a good basic keg setup that I wont regret down the road. I just need to build upon it..

I decided to go with the keg connection setup due to the better regulator.. Some people had some issues with the reg from Midwest as they make the regs themselves.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back