Is this SS or Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDecoy

Reaction score
s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-7.jpgs-l1600-8.jpgs-l1600-9.jpgs-l1600-10.jpg

does 60 max PSI mean that it's stainless?? I know that's pretty standard for SS but what about aluminum? Is the max PSI for aluminum the same?

99.99 percent sure it's SS. If you pick it up and if feels unusually light, it would be AL. But it's probably heavy as hell.

Al kegs are pretty rare. Al doesn't stand up to the beating kegs take (and it looks like your's has taken a beating). Frankly, I wouldn't even use it as a kettle, if that's your plan.

^ that's exactly where I was at 99% sure; especially since the max psi is 60 which is normal for SS. My only assumption was that aluminum should have a diff PSI rating.

Why not use it as a kettle? There's no holes. Might not look purdy but should do the job, no?

^ that's exactly where I was at 99% sure; especially since the max psi is 60 which is normal for SS. My only assumption was that aluminum should have a diff PSI rating.

Why not use it as a kettle? There's no holes. Might not look purdy but should do the job, no?

No reason for you not to use it. I'm a little OCD about stuff, that's all. I've polished mine to be very shiny and spiffy and that one wouldn't do at all for me.

Have you tried setting it on your burner to make sure it sits right? The bottom rim looks kind of beat up. Make sure the keg isn't wobbly before going to the trouble of converting it to a keggle.

Have you tried setting it on your burner to make sure it sits right? The bottom rim looks kind of beat up. Make sure the keg isn't wobbly before going to the trouble of converting it to a keggle.

240v electric baby whoop whoop :cool:

It's aluminum. The color does not look right for stainless steel. To double check hold a strong magnet from a string near the keg, 18/8 or 316 stainless steel will have a very slight pull, aluminum isn't magnetic. Or pick it up, an aluminum keg should only be around 30 pounds, SS will be significantly more. If you're still not sure, grind an edge. Aluminum doesn't spark.

It's aluminum. The color does not look right for stainless steel. To double check hold a strong magnet from a string near the keg, 18/8 or 316 stainless steel will have a very slight pull, aluminum isn't magnetic. Or pick it up, an aluminum keg should only be around 30 pounds, SS will be significantly more. If you're still not sure, grind an edge. Aluminum doesn't spark.

No. It's stainless.

Scratch it with a knife blade. Aluminum will scratch easily. Stainless won't.

Another very non- scientific test is just rap it with your knuckle and listen to the sound it makes. Stainless goes "bing", aluminum goes "bong".

Latest posts

Back