Is this small glycol chiller sufficient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougal

Reaction score
All,

Would these small chillers work for temp control on a 14 gallon fermenter with an internal cooling coil?
I'm not familiar with the thermodynamics of this sort of thing, so I can't tell based on the specs. The reservoir is only 1.4 gallons, which my intuition tells me might be too small.
I'm able to get a couple for next to nothing if they'd work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Links:

Product page

Specs

Probably. It’s 1025 BTUs/Hr which 4 times the chest freezer glycol system I built for my taps and SS chronicals. The only thing that might be a struggle is the cold crash. How much is it?

Probably. It’s 1025 BTUs/Hr which 4 times the chest freezer glycol system I built for my taps and SS chronicals. The only thing that might be a struggle is the cold crash. How much is it?

Not sure what they go for new, but my work is moving and getting rid of unused equipment, so I can get a couple for free or a small financial gesture if I ask I believe.
Wouldn't want to work all that out, get them home, and buy the necessary fermentation equipment only to find out it's not enough juice though. But it sounds like the power is there, so it's just the tank size that might be an issue when crashing?

Also, would lager temps in a 100 degree garage be a no go? If so, I'll probably just stick with fridges.

Probably too hot as the conical tank wraps have minimal R value and that chiller would struggle to keep a 50 degree difference between sides of it.

Back