Is this safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBhomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I put up some chiles about a month ago and out-of-sight-out-of-mind allowed a cap of mold to grow on top. I was able to carefully remove it and just about all of the floating specks it left behind. Can't guarantee I got every last speck though. If it smells ok, which it does, is it ok to eat?

Thank you.

20200921_155756.jpg
20200921_160720.jpg
1600722787355312002985213626399.jpg

No expert but black mold is not the same as white mold. I am OK removing white mold but black or blue mold is something else entirely. I would remove the jar and its contents

The black are seeds? and the mold is the white hairy "stuff"?

No, what you see on top is all mold. Black specks and white fuzz. White cloudy stuff under the fluid in the side shot is what I believe to be healthy kahm yeast.

The mold probably formed due to the few chile seeds which floated to the surface. I should've been more diligent in removing all of them.

From what I've researched on fermo-specific sources, it seems like it's probably ok to eat as the brine smells perfectly fine. If it was just me I'd probably eat it, but my toddler loves spicy and the flavor of lacto fermentation. I'm not willing to risk it with him.

Back