Is this possible or what went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoidberg

Reaction score
I recently made a partial mash, my second, an American Amber Ale.

Basically my est. efficiency was 37% because of my home concocted methods in a 5gallon SS pot using the oven inside and on top to maintain 154 F. The first time I did this I was spot on my OG for a Blonde ale at 1.044, so I kept my efficiency at 37.

My estimated OG was 1.052 and I read at 1.073 at 75F which translated on beersmith to 1.075. My measured efficiency reads at 93.2%, is this possible?

The first time I partial mashed my temps were all over the place because of a low temp start and an oven a little too high near the end. I fixed both those problems and maintained 152-156 the entire 60 minutes while stirring with 2 spoons every 10 minutes.

It was a 3.5 gallon batch, odd I know. It had a total of 3.5 lbs of grain (pale 2 row, a few crystals, caramunich, caravienna, cara-pils and victory. Adding DME at start of boil totalling 3 lbs 4 oz. It also has a strong haze all over it, probably to due its high gravity? It's not hops and grain bits because I filter through a good SS screen after mash and after boil. I've never seen any other beers at this stage because I just bought my glass fermentor. Any tips or what I should do? Do I need a blow off tube?

I'm pitching a full pack of nottingham right now, will update.

Idea that came to me before I pitch the yeast? How much would I benifit from going to get a gallon of distrilled water and adding it? Adding before I throw yeast? or would throwing it now be ok and go get the water tomorrow?

Just tell me this is a terrible idea if it is.

Back