Is this pitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
OK, so last night I acquired a keg that someone had already (but none to skillfully) cut a mouth hole into, but allegedly never brewed in. I thought this would save me the trouble, but it didn't occur to me until after I bought it that this meant the inside had been exposed to the elements in whatever garage or alley it had lived in, for however long.

Anyway, besides a raggedy cut, a small section of the inside has these strange raised, rough areas that I can't quite figure out. My understanding of pitting is not a raised surface, but a sunken one.

Can anyone figure out what this is, and what I should use/do to smooth it out?

Thanks in advance...

pitting2.jpg

If they cut the top out with a plasma torch it could have been from the slag hitting the bare metal. When mine were done we filled bottom 1/3 of the keg with water to try and prevent that but it still happened a little bit.

If they cut the top out with a plasma torch it could have been from the slag hitting the bare metal. When mine were done we filled bottom 1/3 of the keg with water to try and prevent that but it still happened a little bit.

Anything I can do to remove or smooth it?

Maybe hit it with some fine grade sand paper or a fine grit grind wheel. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I have been using my keggles for about two years and there hasn't been any adverse side effects yet. It's on the inside and only you will probably ever notice it :)

Latest posts

Back