Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
This is my first year brewing and first year growing hops. These are cascade hops from a rhizome I got from my wifes coworker. These leaves are on the first 4 foot of the plant. Is this normal?

wtf.jpg

How often do you water and how often do u use fertilizer miricle gro ect and what type. Are they in pots or the ground

They are in a 20 gallon earthbox. I did use miracle grow about every third or forth gallon of water I put in there. I put in about a gallon of water a day and the reservoir holds about 3 gallons. Heat might be an issue but seeing as how your from FL whats your definition of heat. We have gotten up to about 95 here but not much higher then that. They have full sun after about 3 pm till 8. Im 60 miles from Chicago. Now Im fighting those damn Japanese Beetles too. ****s are eating my leaves! I set a trap hopefully it works. Next year my garden is going to be a little better thought out.

Im a first year grower myself and have a Japanese beetle problem here in NC. In my opinion, the hanging bag traps are garbage. Didnt help me a bit. I suggest looking for the source of the beetles. I found the source of the beetles on nearby grapes and killed them there with safe pesticides. There must have been a hundred of them in a 2 square foot area and 70% of them were making babies. If you cant find the source,I suggest putting up traps around the garden. That way the beetles get the trap first. Thats what I have read works.

After finding the source,I went from 30+ beetles destroying 3 hop plants to less than 10 beetles on 2 plants. Now I just hit the plants a couple of times a day to get the beetles off. They suck at flying, especially in the morning, so thats the time to do it. If you can grab them, kill them.

I had a similiar problem with my plants in terms of the bottom leaves and began a miracle grow regimen-once a week. I also bought manure and topsoil and added a large amount to the base of every hop plant-once a month. If that doesnt do it than watering or heat might be the issue. I didnt change my watering habits though and the heat here is not so intense so I cant help you there. Wish I could.

So I should use miracle grow?Its been a while since I used any. As for the bag trap, I set the trap last night. Today, there are no beetles that I can see and the bottom of the bag is full already. So it is working thank god.

Well I have at least half a lb of beetles. As for the plants. I think they aren't getting enough water. I watered the crap out of them today. Well wee what happens. I have a TON of burrs which makes me very happy for a first year plant. This plant is probally 15 ft in length. My other two cascade plants aren't doing as good but one was planted June 1st and the the other was about a week earlier.

One being 15 ft with alot of burrs is awesome and a great sign that the others will prosper as well-even though they are getting a later start.

I am curious if they late plant with have hops ready to pick before it gets to cold so keep us updated.

If I had a ton of burrs the other day I have 3 times that today. Im happy about the amount of them.

Latest posts

Back