Is this mold in my fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLOVE777

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forums and I need some help. I'm not sure if this is mold in my fermenter. Yah or nah and what should I do if it is? I was very careful to sanitize everything. Racked this stout to my secondary 11 days ago and added cacao nibs that were soaked in vodka for an hour or more. I sanitized everything involved in adding the nibs as well. I was planning on bottling it tomorrow but needed to know if I still should. See pics below:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395377745.341692.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395377763.668946.jpg

Please give me advise. John Palmers how to brew says skim it off and as long as you don't have any bad smells or taste your fine. True?

Ecclesiastes 11:1-2

Could this be the nibs floating on the top or yeast?

Was stored in a constant 70-67 degree room. Also the beer was in my primary bucket fermenter for about 5 days before I racked it to the secondary. Primary was sanitized too.

Could this be the nibs floating on the top or yeast?

Also the beer was in my primary bucket fermenter for about 5 days before I racked it to the secondary. Primary was sanitized too.

When mine molded it was white and blue with green and fuzzy..... Try tasting it before you do anything :D

Looks fine to me. I would not do anything yet and taste for off flavors when ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like yeast rafts and maybe a film of hop oils at the top. My first brew had that oiliness because I let the hops from the boil get into the fermenter, but other than an aftertaste from fermenting too hot, it tasted just fine, and the last bottle made it four or five months with no sign of infection. I'd say you're fine.

Ok great. Thanks for all the help all! Really appreciate it. I put a lot of hard work, time, and money into this batch and would hate to loose it

i'd be careful with such a large amount of headspace in anything but the primary fermentation vessel. unless you purged with CO2, that's asking for trouble!

Ok. Should I purge the top head space in the future if I do rack to a secondary fermenter before and after putting the beer in?

FWIW I got an infection from cacao nibs last year, now I roast them and soak for a few days in Bourbon or vodka

Hey all. I did end up bottling it as it did not have any bad smell or taste. This weekend will be the two week mark in the bottles so going to test one to check the carbonation and taste. Will report back then. Thanks all for your help. Greatly appreciated

Thanks again to all who helped me with this. The beer turned out amazing and all who have tried it have just been blown away on how good it is

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back