Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77bawls

Reaction score
I brewed this on 6/6 and just now going to transfer to the secondary. I know it's been a long time but my son had surgery and I've been pretty busy.

The problem is I have another batch on the stove right now and I was going to use the yeast cake from this batch for the next since they were the same strand. It almost looks like it built a skin and there are bubbles trapped in it.

5913762842_c67338772d_b.jpg

I cant really tell if it's an infection but as for the month in the primary, that's the best way to go. Your beer will be better with prolonged yeast contact. Just taste it and if it taste like beer bottle/keg it but rack from underneath of whatever that is on top.

looks pretty funky, the yeast should have done their business long before now so I doubt that bubbling has anything to do with yeast

It's kinda hard to describe the smell. It's pretty strong and almost smells like those bubbles that come out of the little toothpaste tube.

77bawls said:
Okay it tastes pretty nasty. :mad:

Uh oh. It's probably infected. You could always bottle it and after a couple months see if it mellowed out at all. You would be surprised.

I've had multiple beers in primary for a month or more depending on the style without any issues with infections. That itself will not cause an infection. Most of that has to do with sanitation procedures and your own habits. We can always capture a small amount of "wild" yeast or bacteria since its all around us at all times and the only thing that proper sanitation does is lower your chances of that happening. And yes that does look infected.

beerloaf

I was really looking forward to how this one was going to come out. The kit's from Austin usually come out just a little cloudy so I bought a package of Irish Moss and used that in this batch.

I just got back from the LHBS with another package of yeast. I picked up a Saf-ale 05 to have on hand if this happens again. I have a washed yeast but I think it's a mead yeast.

Well this is my first batch that I'm going to have to dump. I cleaned the bucket and soaked it with idophor for an hour or so and dumped a blond in it. Oh well at least I won't run out of bottles or have to buy another keg.

Well this is my first batch that I'm going to have to dump. I cleaned the bucket and soaked it with idophor for an hour or so and dumped a blond in it. Oh well at least I won't run out of bottles or have to buy another keg.

I would switch to star san, i had nothing but problems with idophor up to and including infections, once i made the switch to star san, No problems and 0 infected beers! And IMHO that looks like Mold on the top of the beer, so yes i would say an infection.

Back