Is this infected with black mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
*** Previously mentioned on Surely AHA rally post ***

I have a pale lacto sour using wyeast1007 german ale yeast and is finished with a FG of apx 1012. It's great with a bit of sweet and sour taste. When i took the FG i noticed black lines and splotches in the bucket. Nothing floating but just on the sides and top of bucket where krausen would have been. First 3 days of fermentation it was so active i had to clean the air lock twice because of blow off from the krausen. From the pics, do you think this was infected with black mold? There is black mold in my area and some did appear in my window cell but I've never seen this before in my buckets. I sanitized with starsan and am careful not to let it exposed for long so i'm not sure if this is normal wyeast 1007 yeast remnants or something else coming to the party. I will keg it but i just wanted to get others opinions.

Thanks!

20150804_112358.jpg

20150804_112558_004.jpg

20150804_112608.jpg

20150804_112755.jpg

Toxic mold can come in any color. If you are referring to the color alone, then yes. If that is in fact mold in your airlock, bucket, and lid. The color is in fact black...maybe dark grey or green if you want to split hairs.

Is it toxic? Likely, no. Of the many species of molds in the world few produce mycotoxins (the thing that makes mold toxic) in the levels that make them dangerous. Although some forms of mycotoxins cannot be destroyed by digestion, heating, or freezing, little to no harm will be done by ingesting them. We ingest them every day.

In other words, RDWHAHB.

Pfew! i was worrried i soured my sour. The fiance made a face while tasting it but i think its perfect as a berlinier weisse. Thanks for reassuring me that this isn't hosed.

It was pre made wort from Surley through a AHA wort rally. It smelled good and fermentation started immeditatly that day bubbling out the air lock. They probably used pellets.

Lysergic acid Diethylamide never showed me much beyond cartooning, as we used to call it. That actually looks dark brown, like chestnut or a hair darker. so it's not the kind of black mold you'd see in a dank basement. Don't see it in the beer either. It was derived from a grain fungus though, So donbrew is eerily correct in away. here's a link for those intrested further; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_acid_diethylamide

derailing a bit but i like it.

I'm going to let it sit for another week to ferment out further. Thanks for your input. First sip didn't get me loopy but after a pitcher i'll let everyone know if i start cartooning.

The close-ups of the dark stuff does look a lil gritty to me. Finer spent grain stuff that mixed with the krausen looking thicker & darker when it sticks to the sides of the fermenter. I think it'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back