Is this grain milled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Cereal Killer for my BIAB setup but recently purchased a Grainfather and had the grain milled from AIH (basically to see how an all grain crush should look like).

the grains arrived today but they don’t look that crushed to me. Maybe because I’m used to the fine crush from my BIAB setup?

is this crush acceptable?

7E48567E-1ED5-4C52-9BD4-239ADC5DFF41.jpeg
84A0E8A7-E990-4C07-988D-F1A3BDAC9CC7.jpeg
307C5625-ECF9-42E6-9BA4-E6FD49F1CB20.jpeg
26443AC7-FE9C-454C-9EF1-A7F15BCB478B.jpeg

Run it through your mill, “double crush” :) really it looks like it’s not milled but often grains can look untouched but still be cracked.

I sent an email to the online shop, inquiring if the grains were milled. They just responded with the following...

"The grains to appear to be crushed as we would currently be shipping them. If you remove a kernel that appears uncracked. Roll this kernel around between your fingers and notice it will fall apart. The reason this grain falls apart is that the integrity of the husk was compromised during the milling process and the structure of the grain is not very stable. This is the same crush we try to provide with every batch of beer."

100_0649.JPG
100_0645.JPG

my camera sucks, and my delerium tremens don't help.....but for what it's worth this is my crush, if you can even tell from the pic...it's mostly like coarse corn meal.....

edit: (i just ordered a 20MP digital camera, so future pics should be better finally, lol)

Last edited:
Doesn't look milled at all to me. I see some pieces, but that could just be from rough handling. If that's their idea of "milled" (and based on their response it is) I'd never buy milled grain from them again. For comparison I also have a cereal killer and here's a shot of my grain from my last brew run at .039" (it's in the mash tun). No trouble with stuck sparges or hitting my OG...

IMG_20200621_114716369.jpg

@JLeather looks alright......i guess, lol. way to coarse for my taste....i'd tighten that gap down to at least .032", i run mine at .028", but don't have a problem with sparging, and hit 90% effec.....

I love AIH as they are local to me and are great people. But their milling sucks. I brew three batches like that until I posted pictures just like yours here. Bought a cereal killer and my conversion efficiency went from 60s to high 90s b

@JLeather looks alright......i guess, lol. way to coarse for my taste....i'd tighten that gap down to at least .032", i run mine at .028", but don't have a problem with sparging, and hit 90% effec.....
That sounds great. Do you BIAB or condition your grains for milling?

I sent an email to the online shop, inquiring if the grains were milled. They just responded with the following...

"The grains to appear to be crushed as we would currently be shipping them. If you remove a kernel that appears uncracked. Roll this kernel around between your fingers and notice it will fall apart. The reason this grain falls apart is that the integrity of the husk was compromised during the milling process and the structure of the grain is not very stable. This is the same crush we try to provide with every batch of beer."
wow, that's a really long explanation for a crappy crush.

That sounds great. Do you BIAB or condition your grains for milling?

round rubermaid 10 gallon cooler with a bazooka tube....no conditioning, the hulls stay intact just running the mill slow....(or intact enough for the sparge)

and to be honest i only pull 83% with a single step, to get the 90%, i do a second step at 162f.....

I love AIH as they are local to me and are great people. But their milling sucks. I brew three batches like that until I posted pictures just like yours here. Bought a cereal killer and my conversion efficiency went from 60s to high 90s b
I just ordered from Atlantic Brewing for the first time and was given a double crush option which I selected. Will see how it looks when it arrives. I do not have a space to crush my own grain.

I buy most of my grains from Atlantic, and before I got a mill I ordered their single crush and was pretty satisfied with it in my false bottom Igloo cooler.

I buy most of my grains from Atlantic, and before I got a mill I ordered their single crush and was pretty satisfied with it in my false bottom Igloo cooler.
Good to hear. I ordered double crush because I use a BIAB in my Igloo cooler.

I just ordered from Atlantic Brewing for the first time and was given a double crush option which I selected. Will see how it looks when it arrives. I do not have a space to crush my own grain.

I'm in the same situation of not enough room for a mill until I finish a remodel. That being said I order all my grains double crushed from Atlantic and average 82% efficiency doing full volume BIAB in my Igloo.

I'm in the same situation of not enough room for a mill until I finish a remodel. That being said I order all my grains double crushed from Atlantic and average 82% efficiency doing full volume BIAB in my Igloo.
Hey, I’m curious how much do you allow for water absorption per pound of grain in addition to your full volume?

Hey, I’m curious how much do you allow for water absorption per pound of grain in addition to your full volume?

I squeeze the bag so I normlly only lose approximately two quarts to absorption or approximately 0.16 quarts per pound.

Back