Is this good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
First, before posting, I RDWHAHB'd, then waited a day :)

My first all grain was a Belgian Blonde, which I learned a lot on. I was 1.058 on 4 gals into the primary. 12 days later, I am at 1.022. The expected FG was 1.013.

I used BeerSmith and looked at dilution (adding 1 gal of boiled/cooled water) would bring it down to the 1.013 range (yeah, I should have added this to start with.

Is this the right thing to do, or just drink the 4 gals?

No. This isn't the right thing to do. The time to do dilution is prior to fermentation. If you wanted to hit the expected OG right on the button you would have needed to dilute with 0.4 gal not 1 gal. I wouldn't suggest doing it since you were probably close enough on the gravity.

Your bigger issue is that your fermentation seems to have stalled out. Beersmith suggest that your 1.058 OG beer should finish at 1.013 or so. You need to address this. Try moving your beer to a place with temps in the mid to upper 60's and give the fermenter a good swirl to rouse the yeast.

If you toss 1 gal of water into your beer now you will take your 4.7% ABV beer and turn it into 3.75% ABV beer.

Ok, the temps have been in 66-70 the whole time. I was a little worried about that being stalled. :( Any advice on how to "unstuck" it? I read aeration (I have O2 & a stone).

This was started with a starter.

I've never had an issue with a stuck fermentation so I can't help much. I'd give the yeast a good swirl, make sure the temps stay where they are (don't drop at night), and wait a few days.

Ok, the temps have been in 66-70 the whole time. I was a little worried about that being stalled. :( Any advice on how to "unstuck" it? I read aeration (I have O2 & a stone).

This was started with a starter.

You don't want to aerate now. That's a bad idea. Aeration is great BEFORE the yeast start working, but now you'd be in for a big oxidation mess.

Mash steps
Mash in 122/30
Sach rest 154/45 **This got to about 162 until I could get it cooled, about 5 min
Mash OUt 170

The thermometer on the fermenter is 68 right now.

Your high initial mash temps likely killed off a lot of the enzymes and without an extended mash, there would not be enough fermentable sugar in the wort; thus the high FG.

This is what you need to correct it. About a tablespoon directly into the beer and then give it a good swirl/stir.

I had a very similar situation and this fixed it right up.

Thanks Cubbies, but it might be a day late. I racked it to the secondary last night (at 1.020) after giving it 1+ days of a yeast energizer (LHBS recommendation).

I am assuming that the amalyse enzyme will work with the yeast.

Any recommendation ? Should I A) leave it alone, B) add the amalyse or C)repitch and add the amalyse ?

Well, if the problem is as I assume (lack of fermentable sugars) the yeast energizer and or repitching is unlikely to do much if anything.

Even in the secondary you can certainly still pitch the amylase. There is still a pretty good amount of yeast in the secondary.

Back